Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian Washroll Display

Article about: I just posted this on the Canadian forum, but I thought I'd post it here for good measure. I'm off to a good start, but I'm still looking for a couple of items. The injection molded hair com

?

Default Canadian Washroll Display

I just posted this on the Canadian forum, but I thought I'd post it here for good measure.

A period Canadian-made toothbrush

This is a TEK brand toothbrush, made by Johnson & Johnson, Limited of Montreal, Canada. The "NYLON" refers to the bristles and the "H" denotes that they are hard.

A period Canadian-made shaving brush.

This brush was made by Thomas Stockwell Simms & Company, Limited of Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. It is marked "STERILIZED" like most brushed from the era, which was a common practice following World War I and 1920s anthrax scares involving brushes made of horsehair. Additionally, the bristles were set in rubber, a process that was developed in the nineteenth century.

The injection molded hair comb is marked "MADE IN CANADA"

The "BUTLER" brand razor was made in Sheffield and features a broad arrow and 1942 date.

The buttonstick was made by Coulter Copper & Brass Company, Limited of Toronto and features a Canadian broad arrow.

The Canadian issue fork features a hole in the handle (similar to US Army cutlery) as well as the letter 'C.' This particular example also features a Canadian broad arrow.

This fork was made by International Silver Company (INSICO).

The Canadian issue spoon also has a hole in the handle and features the letter 'C.'

This spoon features some hallmarks that I don't recognize as well as a "NICKEL SILVER" stamp.

The Canadian issue knife features the letter 'C' as well as a "STAINLESS" stamp.

A large pre-war clasp knife with marlin spike and tin opener.

Close-up of the marlin spike with Canadian broad arrow.

This clasp knife was made by George Wostenholm & Son, Limited of Sheffield, England.

A 2oz. tin of foot powder packed by Reckitt and Colman, Limited of Hull.

The tin itself was manufactured by the Metal Box Company, Limited of London. I think the '12' refers to the factory number.

The washroll itself was made by Pall Mall Specialties of Montreal in 1942. This example is made of twill material in the distinctive Canadian shade of pale, greenish khaki authorized around 1933-35.

Last edited by karkee; 03-26-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Gee Wiz superb lot!

CBH
    ?

What a great set , what are you missing ? Keep up the good work .

This is very good. Working on a British one myself but some of the items are hard to find.

?

Thanks guys! I'm still looking for a decent shave brush and toothbrush for this display, but I'm not sure those would have been Canadian issue items or not.

I have been working on an early war British one too, but still need a couple of items on that one as well.

Karkee- not sure if you have a copy but Bouchery's book 'Canadian Soldier in World War II: From D-Day to VE Day' is quite good for Canadian made small kit etc. Covers a lot of the Canadian only items like bi-lingual rations, uniforms, insignia etc. and has a lot of big kit displays with certain items I have never seen anywhere else on my travels.

Ed

?

Yes, I own a copy and it is a great reference! What it lacks in explanations (I think it was originally published in French), it makes up for in color photos!

I referenced the washroll section a number of times.

I have discovered that the initial expense of good reference books pays itself back many times over. It has saved me from a few expensive mistakes and allowed me to spot hidden gems at bargain prices!

CBH
    ?

Not sure how to link , but I wanted to bump this . Great thread karkee

?

I have never seen a WD marked comb in 35 years of collecting. Hair brushes but not combs. Does anyone know when the Safety Razor's were adopted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast