Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Canteen ID GP&F Co 1945 blackened

Article about: I have a blackened 1945 GP & F Co canteen. Was there any reason for this done during the period or would it be better for me to clean it up before I try to sell it?

Default Canteen ID GP&F Co 1945 blackened

I have a blackened 1945 GP & F Co canteen. Was there any reason for this done during the period or would it be better for me to clean it up before I try to sell it?Canteen ID GP&F Co 1945 blackenedCanteen ID GP&F Co 1945 blackenedCanteen ID GP&F Co 1945 blackened

I think it was heated numerous times over an open fire. No need to clean (not sure if you can get it off anyway), it's part of the history.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    I think it was heated numerous times over an open fire. No need to clean (not sure if you can get it off anyway), it's part of the history.
    I would agree that this precisely why it is blackened and that this is a sign of field use.

I wouldn't clean it either unless it is sticky which is what happens if the fire is fueled by something like Hexamine solid fuel tablets.
    In that case the stickiness is unpleasant but is easily removed with a good soap liquid.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."