Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cutlery Knives of the British Empire

Article about: The humble cutlery knife was a very mundane part of the British soldier's kit, but they are rarely seen on the collector's market today. a) Government of India - This crudely made knife is i

Quote by karkee View Post
    That is some great cutlery Jerry! I really like the regimental crests!

I have a NAAFI table knife, but it is too long to fit in a washroll.
    Thanks, The 10th Gurkha's were a lucky find, the NAAFI forks were only 50p each! I also have a NAAFI jug.

Here are my Welsh crested examples and some other spoons. The crested examples are for the 4th welsh, 10th service bn (1st Gwent) S Wales Borderers who only existed during WWI, the Glamorgan Artillery Volunteers who were only around in the late Victorian period and the 3rd Bn Monmoutshire regiment, Brecknockshire and Monmouth battalion, an interwars formation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cutlery Knives of the British Empire   Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  

Cutlery Knives of the British Empire   Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  

Cutlery Knives of the British Empire   Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Great collection! The crests are stamped quite well.

I wonder if having marked cutlery built up the espirit de corps?

Quote by karkee View Post
    Great collection! The crests are stamped quite well.

I wonder if having marked cutlery built up the espirit de corps?
    I assume all regiments had mess cutlery, part of their regimental silver so to speak and part of their identity and as you sugest, esprit de corps. I try to grab any I see, especially for Welsh units, and I am still after some for the RWF.
    Regards,

Jerry

I finally scored a mess cutlery knife, and it matches one of my regimntal spoons to the Monmouthshire Regiment III Brecknocks & Monmouths Battalion. Both the knife and the spoon are made by Mappin & Webb.

From https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...hire-regiment/

Following the end of the war the Territorial Force was disbanded but recruitment started again in 1920 and it was renamed as the Territorial Army. In 1922 the Territorial Army was reduced in size and the 3rd Battalion of the Monmouthshire Regiment was amalgamated with the Brecknockshire Battalion of the South Wales Borderers to form the 3rd (Brecknockshire and Monmouthshire) Battalion, The Monmouthshire Regiment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cutlery Knives of the British Empire   Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  

Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Great find Jerry, it appears to be a perfect match! I wonder when they started stamping 'stainless' on knives, as my 1939 example has it as well...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2