Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

D-Day life preserver????

Article about: I found this item at an estate sale and they said it is a WW2 D-Day life preserver. From looking at it I can't figure out how it would preserve one's life. It has "Oct 18, 1944" an

?

Default D-Day life preserver????

I found this item at an estate sale and they said it is a WW2 D-Day life preserver. From looking at it I can't figure out how it would preserve one's life. It has "Oct 18, 1944" and "Durkee-Atwood Co." stamped on it. Is this genuine? It is in remarkable shape and obviously never been used. How does one associate it with D-Day? Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D-Day life preserver????   D-Day life preserver????  

Default Re: D-Day life preserver????

Hi Pablo, you are correct it is a life belt. Designed to keep you afloat in water.

Original WW2 USN issue. M26.

There was a problem of GI's placing these incorrectly around the body with tragic results. They had to be worn high up the chest and not just around the waist, otherwise you would tip over in the water.

Well known in D Day pics of GI's on ships.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

These were the type used on D-Day. There are period photos of GI's
    wearing these preservers.

I reckon that when it was inflated, it was supposed sit up under
    your arms like the traditional round cork ones usually
    seen on ships.........

EDIT: Ade beat me to it.......
    Regards,

Steve.

yes ade is spot on thats exactly what happened during operation tiger(at the time the so called cover up)the 700plus that died wasn't because of the E boat attacks but the soldiers were top heavy with there kit on there backs and wearing the m26 around the waist they turned and couldn't right themselves,read the book its an amazing story and a very sad one as well.dave.

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    yes ade is spot on thats exactly what happened during operation tiger(at the time the so called cover up)the 700plus that died wasn't because of the E boat attacks but the soldiers were top heavy with there kit on there backs and wearing the m26 around the waist they turned and couldn't right themselves,read the book its an amazing story and a very sad one as well.dave.

What book are you referring too?

hi and take your pic there's lots of versions by differant authors etc.exercise tiger by nigel lewis,and richard t bass,the forgotten dead by ken small(the guy who really opened the whole thing up by raising the sherman at slapton sands,cheers dave.