MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Dating the USMC Garand belt.

Article about: Hi chaps, your opinions on the rough date of this USMC belt please as I'm stuck!! I initially thought ww2 era because it retains its snapper straps to keep the clips in place but apparently

Default Dating the USMC Garand belt.

Hi chaps,

your opinions on the rough date of this USMC belt please as I'm stuck!!

I initially thought ww2 era because it retains its snapper straps to keep the clips in place but apparently these straps were continued until the end of production in the 1950/60's in USMC belts. Then there is the brass fittings of the 1943 version of the M1923 belt discontinued in the '45 belt and replaced with zinc alloy only to revert back to brass in the 1950's. So is it ww2 or Korean?

Dating the USMC Garand belt.Dating the USMC Garand belt.Dating the USMC Garand belt.Dating the USMC Garand belt.

The one thing that makes me think Korea is that if it were the 1943 version the webbing would be tan surely? - Thanks in advance lads.
    Attached Images Attached Images Dating the USMC Garand belt. 

Default Re: Dating the USMC Garand belt.

I am going with Korea.
    The color change from tan to green in 1944.
    Also the green equipment was given to marine troops before those in Europe.
    chris

Cheers Chris,

you have confirmed for me what I already suspected. Shame really as it's going pretty cheap but I suppose that's why.

Ian.

I have seen the Korean an vietman war items go up in prices.
    More collector than before.
    So it is not Junk.Just another collector s treasure
    chris

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Cheers Chris,

you have confirmed for me what I already suspected. Shame really as it's going pretty cheap but I suppose that's why.

Ian.
    It's worth picking up these items if not just for trade, specially if the price is right.

*I have also noticed that Vietnam items going up in price, I have started to pick up Nam era stuff now because I know down the road I will kick myself for not doing it when it was easier to afford. I have a nice side collection going- the flack vest was a cool pick-up.

I agree Chris and it's a nice looking belt in it's own right with its own history. I have a few wartime USMC pieces myself and I'd like to add to them but the cost of shipping from the States plus import duty makes it a very costly business. Things that can be bought relatively cheaply in the States double or triple in price when it's all added on.

I'll get the belt I'm after in the end, it's just that they don't turn up so much over here!

Quote by canti44 View Post
    I agree Chris and it's a nice looking belt in it's own right with its own history. I have a few wartime USMC pieces myself and I'd like to add to them but the cost of shipping from the States plus import duty makes it a very costly business. Things that can be bought relatively cheaply in the States double or triple in price when it's all added on.

I'll get the belt I'm after in the end, it's just that they don't turn up so much over here!
    I heard of the import duty in England crasy.
    We do not pay that here
    chris

?

This is as said Korean war era, but these do bring a good price even being postwar so if you can get it for a good price it would be worth it