Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early War Pattern 1937 Webbing Set (British Made)

Article about: Early War Pattern 1937 Webbing Set (British Made) Presented below is a set of Web Equipment, 1937 Pattern made between 1938 and 1940. Collecting early dated British webbing can be difficult

?

Default Early War Pattern 1937 Webbing Set (British Made)

Presented below is a set of Web Equipment, 1937 Pattern made between 1938 and 1940. Collecting early dated British webbing can be difficult for a number of reasons.

a) Much of it was used up during the course of the war and throughout the postwar period
    b) Much equipment, including large amounts of Pattern 1937 webbing, was lost on the continent after Dunkirk.
    c) Large amounts of early British-made webbing were sent to the rest of the Empire before large scale domestic production began in Canada, India, South Africa and Australia.
    d) Belts and bayonet frogs (along with slings and anklets) were used long after the war for parades, where they were often heavily blancoed.

This set took a long time to piece together, but all the components are unissued with fairly clear markings.

The set without the pack.

The interior of the set.

The Waistbelt on this set was made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1938 and is a size small.

The Braces were made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940. Note the loop on the left brace and reduction weaving used on the shoulder flare. As smaller firms joined in production c1939-40, economy braces made of three separate pieces became more common (though larger firms continued to utilize reduction weaving). It is also interesting to note that the braces lack size markings, which appeared later in 1940 when ‘LONG’ braces were introduced.

The Basic Pouches were made by Michael Wright & Son, Limited of Quorn, Leicestershire in 1938.

It is interesting to note that one of these pouches was originally destined for use with the Pattern 1908 set (as evident from the faint attachment markings on the back). It appears that this was abandoned before the pouch was finished and Pattern 1937 attachments were fitted instead.

The Bayonet Frog is the earlier style with the 1 ½” width, rather than the later 1 ¼” economy style that appeared c1940.

The Bayonet Frog was made by Barrow, Hepburn and Gale of London in 1940.

The Waterbottle Carrier with ‘Bottle, water, aluminium’.

The Waterbottle Carrier was made by Michael Wright & Son, Limited of Quorn, Leicestershire in 1940. British webbing manufacturers switched to a webbing sleeve style later in 1940.

The ‘Bottle, water, aluminium’ was made for a brief period at the start of the war. It was likely seen as a modern replacement to the old enamelled bottles, but was withdrawn from service c1941 as part of the aluminium salvage scheme. Covers were not used with these bottles, so they were painted khaki.

This particular example was made by Midland Metal Spinning Company, Limited of Wolverhampton in 1939.

The Haversack.

The Haversack was made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1939. It carries the ‘tins, mess, rectangular, aluminium’ and ‘cover, mess-tin’. Like the aluminium waterbottles, aluminium mess tins were withdrawn c1941.

The Haversack had partitions for both the mess tins and the waterbottle, though the latter was typically worn attached to the Brace ends.

This set of mess tins was made by Corfield & Buckle, Limited of London. Mess tin covers were made of khaki drill with a drawstring closure and were also made obsolete in 1941, likely as an economy measure. This cover was made by Piggott Brothers & Company, Limited of London in 1938.

The Pack (1908 Pattern) with Support Straps (1908 Pattern).

The Shoulder Straps were also typically constructed using reduction weaving at this early date.

The Pack (1908 Pattern), Support Straps (1908 Pattern) and Shoulder Straps were all made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940.

Some additional webbing items that did not technically form part of the 1937 Pattern Set.

This Entrenching Tool Carrier was originally made as part of a limited production of carriers for the Sirhind tools that were being considered as a replacement for the linneman tools that had been introduced in 1939. This carrier was originally made to be used in conjunction with a separate helve carrier (as with the 1908 Pattern). Sometime after production, this example was modified with loops to accommodate a helve, thus eliminating the need for a separate carrier.

This entrenching tool carrier was made by Michael Wright & Son, Limited of Quorn, Leicestershire in 1940.

The Sirhind Entrenching Tool Head. The head was made by Hardypick, Limited of Sheffield in 1939. As the army was not using the Sirhind tool in 1939, it must be assumed that this head was produced for the Royal Navy, though it has no naval ownership stamps.

The Sling, Rifle, Web, General Service was made by Michael Wright & Son, Limited of Quorn, Leicestershire in 1940.

Interestingly, the brass end of the Sling has an ink stamp reading “MADE IN CANADA”, which was probably added when the sling was imported as surplus. It could be wiped off easy enough, but I think it adds to the history of the item.

As a parting thought, it seems like many of these early items were produced by firms in London (or headquartered there, anyway). Later in the war, manufacturing seems to move to other cities, I wonder if this was because of the Blitz...

As usual, thanks for reading!

?

Very interesting reference and thanks for posting.

I've never seen or heard of the ally water bottle and will now keep an eye open for them. I did see a 1915 dated aluminium bottle the other day but had no idea if it was civilian or military.

Tony

Very nicely presented as always.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by ynot View Post
    Very interesting reference and thanks for posting.

I've never seen or heard of the ally water bottle and will now keep an eye open for them. I did see a 1915 dated aluminium bottle the other day but had no idea if it was civilian or military.

Tony
    I believe the British Army experimented with aluminium waterbottles in WWI and even the Boer War. The limiting factor was cost, I think...

?

Here is another early set of British-made ‘Web Equipment, Pattern 1937’, but this set has Cartridge Carriers in place of Basic Pouches. Cartridge Carriers were originally intended for non-infantry, but due to supply problems, these carriers saw widespread use in early campaigns.

The Haversack in this set was made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940.

The Shoulder Straps were also made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940.

A view of the set without the Haversack.

The Braces are of unique tubular construction that is detailed further in a previous post...

Uncommon Mills Experimental Pattern 1937 Webbing Braces

The braces were made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940 and are Normal Length.

The right-hand Cartridge Carrier. Note the puckering on the bottom of each pocket, indicative of Mills’ ability to create woven integral pockets.

The right-hand Cartridge Carrier was made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940.

An internal view of one of the Cartridge Carrier pockets, showing the integrally-woven divider that separated the chargers.

The left-hand Cartridge Carrier. These carriers held two five-round chargers in each pocket, giving a total of twenty rounds in each carrier.

The left-hand Cartridge Carrier was made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940.

The Waterbottle Carrier is the short sleeve-style that was produced circa 1940-1941.

This particular carrier was made by Barrow, Hepburn and Gale, Limited of London in 1940.

The ‘Bottle, Water, Mk. VII’ was introduced in 1939 and featured green enamelling, a metal eyelet for the stopper cord, a shorted nine inch stopper cord and a drab cloth cover.

The Bayonet Frog is again the earlier style with the 1 ½” width, rather than the later 1 ¼” economy style that appeared c1940.

An internal view of the set.

The Waistbelt and the Bayonet Frog were both made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940 and 1941, respectively.

AIF
    ?

Wow mate those are a couple of absolutely outstanding early sets of British web! That 1940 sling is an absolute beauty too!

The fact that you have been able to find such beautifully mint pieces with such desirable early dates as those is not only impressive but also a testament to your dedication.

...Now excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard lol

?

Thanks AIF, it definitely took a long time to find everything! A lot of it was actually misidentified or had very vague descriptions, if you can imagine that...

By the way, where have you been mate?!?

AIF
    ?

Well your persistence has definitely paid off... How many pattern 37 sets are you up to now?

I haven't been around for a while, I lost interest there for a bit and pretty much gave up on collecting. I've sold off a large chunk of my post 1945 collection and will be offloading the rest soon... But don't worry I kept all the good WW2 stuff! lol
    I guess I just needed a break from it. I picked up a couple of nice Aussie WW2 pieces recently and I have got a bit of the collecting bug back so I thought I had better pop in and make sure you were behaving yourself

Webbing isn't really my "bag"...no pun intended....but if there's a "Post of the Year" award I nominate this one...great photos, great kit, informative. Thank you and well done.

Thumbs up

I'll second that. I've just acquired a very tatty 1939-dated haversack, immediately used the 'search' function here and found this thread ( complete with identical, but immaculate, item ). What a superb resource !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast