Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Emergency Airfield Lights

Article about: I have two of these lights, The internal body is mounted on a gimble and in one picture you can make out an arrow. This has the instruction "to windward" The light switch is a bog

Default Emergency Airfield Lights

I have two of these lights, The internal body is mounted on a gimble and in one picture you can make out an arrow. This has the instruction "to windward" The light switch is a bog standard household one and is stamped A crownM. Ididnt really know as to the purpose of these lights until I bought a book on the RAF Airfield Commandoes, in it is a picture of RAF men and a cluster of these lights on an airfield in Normandy. I have been told that the resistance also had them to mark out clandestine airstrips.The dome is made of plastic. A bit of a change from all the barn finds, John.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Emergency Airfield Lights   Emergency Airfield Lights  

Default Re: Emergency Airfield Lights

Hi John, Thanks for sharing these, they're very nice and unusual not seen them before but great history. Nice relics. LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Default Re: Emergency Airfield Lights

It's a Glim Lamp (Officially itiled a Royal Aircraft Establishment Low Intensity Flare), which was intended to replace the watering can-style Gooseneck Flares for marking RAF runway flarepaths or temporary airfield obstructions from 1940-ish.
    Both Glims and Goosenecks continied in use for many years after WWII, and a slightly updated version of the Glim is still in use for emergencies.

Your example looks like the early type, albeit with a later replacement plastic dome in place of the original glass one.

All the best,
    PB