Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Enamel Mugs of the British Empire

Article about: One seemingly difficult bit of British Empire kit to find is the "Mug, Enamel". These mugs were widely issued to troops all over the Empire and could hold one pint of fluid. They s

?

Nice brown 45 dated example, YouTube

Default british cups

great cups, i wonder if you can tell me anything about this 45 marked cup?

and how much are they going for?

best regards Thomas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enamel Mugs of the British Empire   Enamel Mugs of the British Empire  

I have never seen a British cup like that. I would be wary of it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

There is two similar cups with same markings posted in this thread.
    Adrian Can i ask what are your concearns? Size, markings?

...people are copying enamel mugs now???...is that what we're saying?

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...people are copying enamel mugs now???...is that what we're saying?
    Yes Ade, and it has been so for quite some years.

Whilst these days there is undoubtedly deception at work I don't believe it began that way. This type of cup continued in service for many years after WWII until it was replaced by the green polythene type of similar shape in the early '70s (?).

As a kid I recall these being sold in military surplus stores by the box load and they were very popular in all kinds of industrial workplaces including the building site type of environment. As recently as ten or so years ago Nick Hall of Sabre Sales in Southsea (long since defunct) had boxes of these in his attic, covered in years of grime and the cardboard boxes turning to dust! Such was their popularity as a robust "builders mug" that when the military surplus began to dry up there was new manufacture in Asia.
    The brown and the white with blue rim were just as common as I recall.

With the rise of re-enactment and living history groups there was further call for these. Of course the original was preferred as today but the repro / late copies were ideal if the mug was to be actually used for tea etc!

So, whilst the originals are still fairly easy to find they are a finite resource and are becoming pricey beyond their intrinsic value as antiques. This means that the repro is in almost as much demand as it ever was.

Of course the repro for re-enactors would have appropriate markings and it isn't a quantum leap to imagine these being sold as originals by less than honest or even ill-informed dealers etc especially when the ink markings of the originals is often lost through usage.

As we know from this thread there are collectors who have specific knowledge and I don't claim to be one of those. I just know enough to be aware and therefore make informed decisions.

The short answer to your question is of couse; Yes, caveat emptor!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-09-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

ah...this sounds similar to the ol' helmet stencil game.......initially done for re-enactors (apparently) but an opportunity spotted by the less scrupulous.......

....a real mugs game........

Wink

Quote by Composite View Post

....a real mugs game........
    Groan !

?

I have been collecting for 40 years and have never had the oportunity to aquire a mug of the coventional pattern that I have been able to prove 100% it is of war-time manufacture. THe correct pattern yes but they are very rarely dated and even the crates full of them at Sabre Sales were not dated. The only examples I have seen are the late war jungle pattern.

Lightbulb

Thanks for that. I've often thought I'd like to add one to my collection and had been confused by the lack of date....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast