Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Escape compasses

Article about: After i see the pic of escape compasses by Adrian ,i decide to make some research in the web ,because i know nothing about the escape compasse ,i think is really interesting piece of war , i

Default Escape compasses

After i see the pic of escape compasses by Adrian ,i decide to make some research in the web ,because i know nothing about the escape compasse ,i think is really interesting piece of war , i am curios to read more about the compas and i find this web site !!

one of my friend say to me , i check all my uniform buttons , and he find one compass inside the button!! wow

Escape compasses
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Escape compasses

Hi Pierre, thanks for the link.

I can tell you a story about one of the compasses listed as "unknown" in the link. I have one of these in my colllection. In the early 1970's in Britain you could buy a brand of black boy's shoes called "Clarkes Commandos". I had a pair They had a hidden escape compass in the heel. Were these specially made for these shoes or were they WW2 surplus? I don't know? Either way I still have mine

Cheers, Ade.

Wow ,nice history Adrian !same for my friend , he check all uniforms , and he find one compass inside button !! i think many collector know nothing about this compass,

for my part , i think is really interesting war item ! and i buy one set , the small and bigger

Pierre

Adrian , i am interested to see exactly where you find yours ! in the shoes please post a pic , with compass

Ade i remember them well, i also used to have a pair of them shoes i was forever going out and trying to get lost to see if i could find my way home what a silly boy i was thanx for posting Pierre

Hi Pierre, the shoes are long gone. I was mistaken about the name of the shoes.

The ones with the compass in the heel were these called "Wayfinders". I had a pair of these too. My Mum worked in a shoe shop These were really cool for a 10 year old boy! A secret compass and animal tracks on the sole.

Hi Ronnie, all this kind of stuff has a lot to answer for! All the comics etc that we grew up on.

Cheers, Ade,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L&L_issue_0425_07_Mar_1970 Wayfinders.jpg 
Views:	3325 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	63835  

Thank Adrian ! very interesting ! the shoe made after War , its the same compass ?? of military ?

Hi Pierre, yes the shoes were made in the early 1970's.

I will take a pic of the compass which was in them tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

other interesting link

Compass Museum - Escape compasses

Finally took a photo of the compass in my collection which came out of the shoes I mentioned earlier.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	2071 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	72718  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast