Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...

Article about: Hi guys, I wasn't sure if I should post this thread on spotting fake webbing markings on eBay and possibly aid the counterfeiter (potentially a member of Warrelics) in his technique, but I t

?

Default FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure if I should post this thread on spotting fake webbing markings on eBay and possibly aid the counterfeiter (potentially a member of Warrelics) in his technique, but I think the benefits of informing fellow collectors outweigh the risks. Fake markings are usually easy to spot for those with some experience (the broad arrow with a 1943 under it is all too commonly seen on postwar Italian webbing and the like). However, the following MECº and MW&S stamps have become quite difficult to discern from the real thing. With careful observation of the markings and the construction of the webbing, the deception becomes all to apparent...

Firstly, most of the webbing with the fake MECº markings is generally well used and blancoed, which is the first clue given the often crisp markings.

The following three belts are all presented with fake "MECº 1944" markings. These are obviously forged markings given the construction of the belt (economy webbing sliders by this time) and lack of size markings (S or L)...

The following original belt is presented for comparison (note the economy construction)...

Next, are three pairs of braces with fake "MECº 1944" markings. The first three are very easy to spot given their three piece construction (a construction method never employed by Mills Equipment Company). The last set of braces is trickier since it does use the single piece construction seen on early Mills braces. By 1944, however, Mills was using a 'wrap-around' method of economy construction for braces. The lack of size information is the other clue (Normal or Long)...

The next set is original and bears the appropriate size markings. The 1944 brace also utilizes the correct economy style...

Next is a set of support straps, again with the fake "MECº 1944" markings. These are difficult to identify as fake since (other than the Indian looking buckle on right strap) the only way to identify them is from the incorrect shape of the broad arrow...

An original bunch for comparison...

Next are some frogs with fake markings. The first is obviously a South African-made example (given the multipiece construction and multiple layers of stitching) and bears a fake "MW&S 1941" date. The second has the usual fake "MECº 1944" mark and is of an obviously inferior webbing/construction than Mills would have produced.

Lastly, a couple more examples of original MECº markings are presented for comparison...

I hope this is of some benefit to the casual collector of P37 webbing!
    Attached Images Attached Images FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing... 
    Last edited by karkee; 02-19-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Why would you fake stamp webbing ?

?

Quote by Australia View Post
    Why would you fake stamp webbing ?
    Whoever is stamping all these fake markings is obviously trying to sell/move a large amount of used, unwanted webbing by including a desirable maker and date. The source of this fake webbing seems to be a couple of eBay sellers in particular...

All I can think of is the world "SCARRY" !

I can't believe they have fake stampings on Commonwealth materials, what's next.....U.S. ??

Unlike the high end German materials, that I understand, but webbing straps.....WOW !

Getting worse and worse.....which is sad, indeed.

Thank you for posting.

Regards,
    Taka

?

There is this infamous dealer from Nottingham I believe, who had loads of well worn webbing with a crisp MECo stamp, and dito clothing with an equally sharp ECo stamp. Buyer beware!

Jeez, they'll do anything for a dollar. The amount of crap on eBay is shocking, and eBay skirts the issue by simply claiming that they are sales "facilitators". That excuse saved them from lawsuits over the sale of Chanel, Gucci, Rolex, etc. fakes.

?

A couple of stamps to watch out for...

This fake stamped webbing is all over ebay, i have even seen some which are stamped over blanco, ebay is still a great site to buy original ww2 webbing nearly all of my collection was purchased for there, you need to read up and judge for your self never believe the seller they only want your money!!

Harry

?

Here's a couple of faked up Mills Equipment Company markings that have been on eBay recently. The first was sold as a rare Pattern 1919 holster and actually sold for a considerable amount to some naive collector! The second example is a postwar Greek or Italian pouch...

FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing... FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...

FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing... FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...

BTF
    ?

Disturbing indeed! Thank you for the info, its extremely helpful for us who are relatively new to the collecting hobby!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast