Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A few bits of 37ptn WE.

Article about: Hi guys. Its not a lot, but these pieces are my sole remaining bits of 37pattern web equipment that I have. The intention is to try and rebuild my collection again, which will have to be ove

?

Default A few bits of 37ptn WE.

Hi guys.

Its not a lot, but these pieces are my sole remaining bits of 37pattern web equipment that I have.
    The intention is to try and rebuild my collection again, which will have to be over some time as I lost my job before Christmas!

The mapcase was given to me by my late Grandfather and was the one that he carried when he was a Serjeant/tank commander in the Grenadier Guards in WW2. It also saw a later lease of life when I used it when I was a GPMGSF Gunner/Fire Controller in the 1980's.

I have tried to get as clear photos of the dates etc on them, but they are faded a lot.
    Regards etc
    Ian
    AKA: Jimpy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few bits of 37ptn WE.   A few bits of 37ptn WE.  

A few bits of 37ptn WE.   A few bits of 37ptn WE.  

Default Re: A few bits of 37ptn WE.

Hi Ian, the map case is in good condition, considering where it's been.37 pattern stuff is starting to get expensive now, i suppose because they haven't made it for a while! Good luck with rebuilding the collection and a job.
    Pete.

?

Hi Pete

Glad you like them, I do. They were the first pieces that I got when I first started collecting a long time ago and thats the main reason why I hung onto them.

My grandfather set me off on the "webbing trail" when he gave me the mapcase when I was VERY young, he also set me off on the model making track as he bought me my first Airfix kit, (1/76 Churchill tank, I swear blind that he only got me that one because that was what he used to be a tank commander on and that also set me off on a lifelong love of the Churchill!)

I know what you mean about the prices of 37ptn WE going up and up, I remember when you used to be able to pick it up for pence or a couple of pounds at most at just about every surplus shop or market stall in the country. I had some very good pickings at Doncaster markets, both the open air and corn exchange one in the 1970's/80's.
    There are still some good pickings out there, but they are getting harder and harder to track down and the few true surplus shops that I know of, in London and Bristol, tend to have shedloads of 58ptn and foreign kit but very little, if any, 37ptn WE.

All the best
    Ian

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 01-13-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Grammar and addition

Ian,have you looked at this website? Karkee Web
    it,s bloody good.Sabre Sales in Portsmouth are a good and reasonably priced supply.I bought some large packs once because thaey were so cheap and I wanted to cut them up for something, I'm glad I didn't,
    Pete.

?

Cheers Pete

I have Karkee Web on my favourites list, didnt know about Sabre Sales, I will give them a look.

Thanks again mate.

Regards etc

Ian

ILH
    ?

Ian,
    Get yourself to Sabre, they're so oldschool they only hang jackets up, everything else get piled up. I went for one pouch and came away with my suspension sagging, but take a torch- it's dark in there.

?

Quote by ILH View Post
    Ian,
    Get yourself to Sabre, they're so oldschool they only hang jackets up, everything else get piled up. I went for one pouch and came away with my suspension sagging, but take a torch- it's dark in there.
    I didnt think those type of surplus shops existed anymore
    I used to love rummaging around those type of surplus shops, its amazing what you can find in them.

Sounds like a run to Pompey is on the cards when the weather gets better. Good excuse to give the bike a run out, its been stood since before christmas

Thanks guys.

Regards etc

Ian

Hi Ian, good wartime webbing is starting to dissappear.

The webbing room at Sabre Sales is legendary! You will enjoy it

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Sorry to hear about the job. I hope things pick up for you soon.

?

Yep Sabre sales is a good old fashioned Army and Navy type surplus shop, in a way this place is stuck in a time warp, most of these old proper government surplus shops have long since gone. I can remember as a very young lad there was also an Army and Navy store at Leigh on Sea near Southend in Essex, again this was sometime in the late 1970's and even then it seemed to be from another period in history, as stepping though the door into the shop was like going back to the 1940's.

Nige.

P.S. also Silvermans still stock literality tons of 1937 pattern webbing, however for non trade punters they are pricey.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Yep Sabre sales is a good old fashioned Army and Navy type surplus shop, in a way this place is stuck in a time warp, most of these old proper government surplus shops have long since gone. I can remember as a very young lad there was also an Army and Navy store at Leigh on Sea near Southend in Essex, again this was sometime in the late 1970's and even then it seemed to be from another period in history, as stepping though the door into the shop was like going back to the 1940's.

Nige.

P.S. also Silvermans still stock literality tons of 1937 pattern webbing, however for non trade punters they are pricey.
    Silvermans do a discount for armed forces personnel on production of a MoD90, so I think that a visit to them is on the cards when my son gets home from Afghan in April. Its the other side of town from me but I could always make a day out with my son, his wife and their baby!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast