Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Field Phone

Article about: Sure PM me your email (I have it somewhere but would take time to find). I thought I gave you a copy... oh well.. Rob

?

Default Field Phone

I picked this up at work a while ago, it seems the word is out that there is a guy here who collects "military stuff."
    Straight out of an attic, spiders included.
    I know little about these, so comments welcome.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Field Phone   Field Phone  

Field Phone   Field Phone  

Field Phone  
    Last edited by aj4010; 08-09-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Default Re: Field Phone

Telephone Set Type D?

Cool!

?

Quote by Paul B View Post
    Telephone Set Type D?
    MkV

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Yes it is a Telephone Set D Mk V, the standard WWII field telephone used by all Commonwealth forces below Divisional HQ level (Div HQ and above used the Tele Set F). Artillery Regiments, for example, used loads of these in every command post, and sometimes in observation posts, connected together by field switchboards and other devices. The markings D 4 might well be a Royal Artillery one meaning D Troop, Phone No 4. In Army slang, it was always called a "Don-Five". It could receive calls by magneto calling (via the bell) and by buzzer calling (a buzzing noise in the earpieces), but could only call by buzzer using the key. The buzzer unit is on the right with the two bakelite knobs (I don't know why there is a piece of string attached to one of them). Here is a nice picture of them in use by the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery in Italy:

Field Phone

It's not in the greatest condition, but not horrible by any means It has certainly got damp at some point, and looks to be missing the watch receiver (a single earphone attached to the thinner cord). Some Don-Fives had this receiver removed and were then called Telephone Set D Mk V*. Power to this unit was 3V provided by two cells in the compartment behind the morse key. They are pretty rugged so it might work if you powered it up.

I have the manual for the Tele D Mk V in pdf format if you would like it

Rob

I am sure Rob will be all over this as he gave me the information about the one I have for my Website, to save him writing it all out again here it is.
    The Telephone Set D Mk V was a portable instrument for field use in Army formations forward of divisional headquarters. It provided the following facilities:
    1) Calls by buzzer
    2) Responds by bell to magneto generator calling and by aural indication to buzzer calling
    3) Speech communication
    4) Morse communication by buzzer and key
    The instrument, having a magneto bell, could only be rung by another telephone, or telephone exchange, which has a magneto generator. It could only call by buzzer, which gives visual indication to Switchboards UC (Universal Call), and aural indication to another telephone when not working through an exchange. Maximum range was 14-16 miles (speech) and 25 miles (Morse) using D8 twisted cable or 8-10 miles (speech) and 15 miles (Morse) using D3 cable. Like the F Set, it was powered by two 1.5V ‘X’ or ‘S’ Cells. In addition to the normal handset, the set also incorprated a single headphone, which could be used on a listening watch. The Telephone Set D Mk V* was similar but without the headphone. In army slang, the set was commonly known as a "Don Five".
    Attached Images Attached Images Field Phone  Field Phone  Field Phone 

Very cool.
    Lucky find at work.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

lol Rob we must have done it at the same time ha ha .

Quote by joseph barrett View Post
    lol Rob we must have done it at the same time ha ha .
    Yes lol That info I gave you is pretty much the opening blurb from the manual in fact.

Rob

If you don't mind could you send me a copy of the manual as well Rob.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast