Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Folding GS seat from Normandy.....

Article about: Although I more usually collect German militaria, I do have a moderate collection of British items as used in NW Europe. I've always hankered after one of these...a British GS folding seat.

Default Folding GS seat from Normandy.....

Although I more usually collect German militaria, I do have a moderate collection of British items as used in NW Europe.

I've always hankered after one of these...a British GS folding seat. Not the most thrilling item, I agree - but they're in all those pics of Monty's TAC HQ and feature in the very famous photo below.

So, there I am on holiday in Normandy and rummaging through the big Brocante warehouse in Bayeux. Yes, it's been pretty well picked over ( especially in June ! ). But you know what they say - leave no stone unturned and here it was.....squinting up close, WD arrow, GR.VI and Crown, F. Wilde Ltd 1943.

And I found it in Normandy. Pleased . The shellcases are another story.....

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Folding GS seat from Normandy.....  

?

That is a good score Martin.
    I have a couple of Aussie WWII era folding bench seats myself.

Oz.

Those are the best finds, especially when there must have been 100's of people looking for militaria that walked past it that month alone which can make you feel great!

I have 2 post-war ones, they are exactly the same model but not dated (but with a Queen's Crown), which I use for re-enactment. I found mine at the War & Peace Revival Show a few years ago, the guy had a crate full of them for a quid each and I was happy my 'sitting-on-the-grass days' were over.

They are nice things, and useful too. I spent ages checking every folding chair I could find until I found mine: https://hatchfive.wordpress.com/2016...-wooden-chair/

Thumbs up

Is that your website ? if it is, great work !

As soon as I got home on Saturday, I Googled 'British WW2 Folding Seats' and up it came - and very useful it was, too.....

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Is that your website ? if it is, great work !

As soon as I got home on Saturday, I Googled 'British WW2 Folding Seats' and up it came - and very useful it was, too.....
    Hi Martin, yes its my site. Glad it was helpful.

?

Must check for any dates on the chairs in our Cadet Stores. They are certainly stamped Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and must have come in to our stores when the Regiment was disbanded in 1967.