Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Foot Locker of THE Julian A. Cook??

Article about: I picked this up from a thrift store just because I thought my son would like to store his stuff in it. After I got it home, I decided to research the name on the trunk... and of course came

Default Foot Locker of THE Julian A. Cook??

I picked this up from a thrift store just because I thought my son would like to store his stuff in it. After I got it home, I decided to research the name on the trunk... and of course came up with the man portrayed by Robert Redford in "A Bridge Too Far".
    On the front it states he is a Lt. but on the side the painting states 2nd Lt. Wikipedia says Cook graduated from West Point as a 2nd Lt in 1940. The trunk has an emblem which states: 1949 Doehler Metal Products Corp New York. Elsewhere on this forum a member states his opinion the the 1949 does not necessarily indicate a year.
    Is this just a fabulously realistic reenactor's trunk? (Though I don't see why a reenactor would mark Cook as 2nd Lt rather than Major, which is what his rank was during Operation Market Garden.)
    My son has postulated that the blue tag taped to the bottom of the trunk may be an auction lot number.
    Also, across the top of the lid is some writing that I can't make out... it looks like three words and the third work looks like "OFFICE" or possibly "OFFICER". I've taken a separate photo of each word.

Thanks for any help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Foot Locker of THE Julian A. Cook??   Foot Locker of THE Julian A. Cook??  

Foot Locker of THE Julian A. Cook??   Foot Locker of THE Julian A. Cook??  

How cool would that be if it turned out to be the real deal.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Cracker!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Cracker!!!
    Is that good?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wilk Mydlarz View Post
    Is that good?
    I should have been a bit more verbose.. Sorry. Broke the rules by not expounding a bit more... and my term Cracker was actually a very poor choice of words in looking back.

I don't know trunks so would like to see why someone thinks the 1949 isn't a date.

But even then I'm highly skeptical. Was he de-ranked post war? As the two tags are post war. One is even dated March 1948.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, it does appear that the customs form is printed "MAR 48" at the bottom.
    Could he simply have been using/re-using his old trunk without updating his rank? Does seem weird...
    As for 1949 not being the date... I haven't found ANY Doehler trunks with any other year. Doesn't seem likely they would only make trunks during the year 1949.

MAP
    ?

I guess it is possible. But just speculating without further research. I guess a key clue would be to see if he served in the army of the occupation during that time period.

I haven't been able to find out anything on what he did between his graduation from West Point 1940 and Operation Market Garden.

MAP
    ?

Well he served in active duty to 1968. So there is a thread to follow.

?

"Inspection officer" maybe?
    Great trunk!

Oz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast