Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.

Article about: Hello, I purchased these two foot lockers from a guy yesterday. I got the green one for \\$35 and the blue one for \\$5. Any info would be appreciated. I know the green one was made in 1949 and

Default Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.

Hello, I purchased these two foot lockers from a guy yesterday. I got the green one for $35 and the blue one for $5.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    I know the green one was made in 1949 and they both belonged to a Capt. Fredricks who lived in Phila.
    I really am wondering whether the blue one is a military trunk.
    If so, why is it blue?
    The only marking on that one is "Stanley ... Made in USA" on the hinge. The trunk is addressed the same so I assume he had his stuff shipped home in both of them.
    I believe he was Capt. Clifford G. Fredricks who served in the Army from 1942-1977.
    At one time he was stationed at 4th Eng Avn, Westover AF Base, Chicope Falls, Mass. This was on the back of the green trunk but painted over at one time.
    Thanks
    Anton
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.   Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.  

Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.   Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.  

Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.   Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.  

Default Re: Foot Lockers - Please help with any info.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    If so, why is it blue?
    At one time he was stationed at 4th Eng Avn, Westover AF Base, Chicope Falls, Mass.
    Perhaps he aquired the blue trunk during his time at the Air Force base. If it is a USAF item, it would make sense that it would be blue.

Rob

The problem with that idea is that I believe that the blue trunk is actually older (it is an older model trunk). Prior to 1947 there was no Air Force just the Army Air Force. Also the trunk was NOT repainted blue after the war.

The blue footlocker is certainly US Military.....got a blue coat of paint along the way someplace. I'm not exactly sure when they started producing this particular style footlocker but I do have one almost identical (exept for color) that belonged to a Vietnam Era Vet, still has a bunch of shipping tags etc on it. You can never have too many footlockers cool milit

Just did a little digging in the back of my head, and as for the age of the blue footlocker, I'm thinking that it is the newer of the two you have. I recall my dads footlocker he had stored in my bedroom closest growing up, it was his footlocker he had when he was in Korea in the 50's and followed him to Veitnam in the 60s and 70s...it was more the style of the green footlocker you have pictured. All the wooden types I have come across, like your blue one, all belong to Vietnam Vets or later.

I'm not entirely sure the green one is an army footlocker, I think it's more likely to be a trunk, owned/purchased by an army officer. I also suspect the '1949' is part of the Doehler Metal Products logo rather than a date of manufacture. The blue one looks like a US military issue footlocker to me, however.

Rob

It appears to me that Capt. Fredricks sent his stuff to his home in Phila in these two trunks. He retired from the Army in 1977. I can tell that he repainted the green one because you can see info about the Air Force base through the paint when you shine the light on it a certain way. Either of your theories could be true. I guess I just assumed that the trunk was from 1949 but who can say for sure. That was the only date I could find on either trunk.
    I can tell you for sure that the blue trunk was NOT re-painted and is originally blue. I actually sanded down a part of it which revealed wood (no green paint).
    Hopefully someone who knows about these foot locker/trunks can add some good info.
    I figured for $40 they were worth it.

NCA
    ?

If its any help to you i also own a Doehler footlocker.It has military markings as well.I believe it was a 'made for the military' type of thing, private purchase?Ill post some pics of it if you like..

40Garand
    ?

This is a long shot, but is there any chance that the Doehler is for sale?