Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French Binoculars Help

Article about: Hello Guys and Gals, I just found a WW? French Binocular set at a flea market. I bought it for \\$40 USD. I have a few questions about it. 1, What is it worth? 2, how rare is it? 3, what front

Default French Binoculars Help

Hello Guys and Gals,
    I just found a WW? French Binocular set at a flea market. I bought it for $40 USD. I have a few questions about it. 1, What is it worth? 2, how rare is it? 3, what front was it used on, I know it wasn't used in the Navy though. 4, the lenses are really nasty, almost like the seals (if there were any) went bad. Is there a way to clean the lenses, and if so, will it destroy or add to the value? And 5, what year is it from?

Thanks Guys and Gals,
    Zack

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the pictures. Duh French Binoculars HelpFrench Binoculars HelpFrench Binoculars HelpFrench Binoculars HelpFrench Binoculars HelpFrench Binoculars HelpFrench Binoculars Help

Hello! No picture ? Huet patern ?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

It would help if there were pictures of it.

I am uploading pics literally right now but it might take a little while because they are big pictures.

Pictures are now up.

They look to be WWII or abit earlier era. They are abit uncommon but not substantially rare. They would have been used almost anywhere so it is impossible to say what front they would have been used on. To clean the lenses internally, you cannot do it yourself. They must be sent out for proper cleaning and sealing to any number of companies that offer this service. If you do have them worked on, it will raise their value rather than hurt it. Collectors want their glasses in working order.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    They look to be WWII or abit earlier era. If you do have them worked on, it will raise their value rather than hurt it. Collectors want their glasses in working order.
    After I bought it, I saw the latch and realized it was at least post-WWI. I kinda figured cleaning the lenses would raise the value. Do you know how much the service cost roughly and it is worth doing it? Also, I can't find a serial number, is there one on it or no?

Quote by Lockley16 View Post
    After I bought it, I saw the latch and realized it was at least post-WWI. I kinda figured cleaning the lenses would raise the value. Do you know how much the service cost roughly and it is worth doing it? Also, I can't find a serial number, is there one on it or no?
    I shouldn't bother as that'll cost a lot more than they're worth. Afsa 3x bino's are only worth around $30 per cased set anyway, ebay has sets for sale every week.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

[QUOTE=big ned;1198750] Afsa 3x...

I have the 8x version.

Hello Zack, Unfortunate to say, but binoculars like these are usually not worth doing the repair work on, as it is generally a fairly hefty service cost plus shipping, of course. I doubt if you could have it done for less than $100 plus S-H. It may be mildew, fungus or simply dirt inside and the lenses would likely need to be collimated after cleaning and then everything must be resealed airtight again. If they were high end glasses such as modern Zeiss or Leica or vintage German U-boot rigs, etc, it would be worth considering, but to put 3 times the value of a good set into repairing them would just not be practical. Sorry for the bad news.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast