We picked up this USMC M1914 Haversack at the SoCal Militaria Show on Saturday. I believe it’s the last pattern used in Vietnam before the nylon haversack was introduced, with roll top. With all the graffiti/sketches, I was concerned that it may not be authentic but after looking both the haversack and the artwork over very closely, comparing to other examples, I’m 99.9% convinced both the pack and the artwork are good. If something stands out as questionable, please do not hesitate to point out.

Photos are as follows:
1. USMC M1941 Haversack front view
2. Haversack back view
3. Date stamp – looks to be 1965
4. Vietnam artwork – front of haversack, clearly reads SAIGON at bottom. From 9:00 o'clock to 3 o'clock it reads VIETNAM CONG HOA
5. Cartoon artwork – drawn on the back of the haversack
6. Hand over Globe maybe? 3 letters under the globe, possibly “VCN” – drawn under the rolled front flap
7. Looks to be a soldier kneeling in front of something
8. A glass with a straw, below the glass is a pencil and to the left it looks like a sketch of a letter sitting on a desk but not sure.
9. Some block letters, I can’t make them out
10. Maybe the guy that drew all this was named STEVE?
11. Possibly the front of a ship? Drawn on the back of the haversack
12. Some sort of image of a person. You can’t make it out in the photo but just to the right is another sketch of what appears to be a person with hands in the air. There was something drawn, where the big ink spot is, looks like the pen was left setting on the haversack and sucked up all the ink. The spot shows well on the inside back but did not transferred to the inside front of the haversack so I’m guessing this happened while the pack was loaded.

Graffitied M1941 Haversack – VN Era