Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Grubs up! British eating irons etc.

Article about: Hi Guys, taking some pics of more items from my collection on a rainy day. First off we have what must have been a popular and practical item, a can and bottle opener. WD marked & dated

Default Grubs up! British eating irons etc.

Hi Guys, taking some pics of more items from my collection on a rainy day.

First off we have what must have been a popular and practical item, a can and bottle opener. WD marked & dated 1943. Originally it had a tinned silver finish.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grubs up! British eating irons etc.   Grubs up! British eating irons etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: Grubs up! British eating irons etc.

These are now hard to find and command a premium. A 1940 dated knife. I found this one at work many years ago when I was in the printing trade. I used it every day for taking rubber type out of molds!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grubs up! British eating irons etc.   Grubs up! British eating irons etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A set of knifes, forks and spoons, all GR marked. In fact, the forks and spoons are all 1930's being GR V marked. The slightly darker looking spoon is 1950 dated. These were liberated by a friend of mine from his workplace, a mental hospital, when they changed the cutlery to plastic.

Grubs up! British eating irons etc.  

Here we have an Air Ministry marked knife.

Staying on the Air Ministry theme, this time from the Officers Mess, here is a napkin ring with "AM" marking. While no silver hall marks are present, these have a silver content to them, hence the patinia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grubs up! British eating irons etc.  

Here we have a 1945 dated jug. Maker marked "SG & Co." Capacity of 1 Imperial Pint.

Cool items Ade and thanks for showing them. I always mean to check out the old cutlery when I am out on the hunt, but mostly can't be bothered which is a shame as many of these must still be out there.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice items ! I remember my Mum using a can opener like that when I was a boy !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

We always check the cutlery at shows and antiques shops, as they do turn up on occasion.

Cheers, Ade.