Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help with hurricane lantern please.

Article about: A friend has acquired this British lantern which we could use some help identifying. The chimney is stamped "4MB" in large letters and on the base is stamped "1945, KE, 8025&q

?

Default Help with hurricane lantern please.

A friend has acquired this British lantern which we could use some help identifying. The chimney is stamped "4MB" in large letters and on the base is stamped "1945, KE, 8025". The paint is dull green. I thought it could be military but there is no broad arrow or crown cypher. Thoughts?

Just guessing, Indian made?

?

It seems to have all the correct details for a British lantern. I have some British lanterns which are very similar but just have not come across these stamps before. 4MB sounds like a commissioned piece but I dont know who 4MB could be. KE would be the maker but why add what looks like a serial number 8025? Its got me a bit stumped.

?

I believe this is a British-made hurricane lantern made by the Metal Box Company, Factory #4 (MB4). The KE 8025 is a stores code used at the end of the war and after, similar to the cup shown below...

Metal Box also had factories in Calcutta and Bombay, so I suppose there is a chance it is Indian.

?

Thats brilliant Karkee thank you!
    There is also a 1943 "tent heater" posted by Adrian Stevenson back in 2010 made by the Metal Box company (now that I know what to search for).