Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear

Article about: can you help me identify this assorted group of I think WW2 era field gear. Thank you in advance. JH

?

Default Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear

can you help me identify this assorted group of I think WW2 era field gear. Thank you in advance. JH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear   Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear  

Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear   Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear  

Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear   Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear  

Help identifing this group of WW2 US field gear  

?

Default Re: Help identifing this group of WW2 field gear

Ii would like to know what the pack was used for and I dont know what some of the assorted straps and covers are for. Thanks

It is all WW2 gear.

The pack is the M1928 "Doughboy" pack. Used by almost all troops bar the Airborne. It lacks the "meat can pouch" which would hold the mess tin and knife, fork, spoon. A slightly updated version of the pack used in WW1. Kit had to be packed in a roll fashion. It was really a poor old fashioned design by WW2.

The "triangular" looking iten is actually part of this pack. We used to call it the "tail". (I used to Re-enact WW2 US Inf) It straps onto the bottom of the pack (with a leather strap) and extends it to allow the tent half etc to be carried.

The other items at the top are of course leggings, pistol belt and .45 auto ammo pouch.

The other bits are the M1936 "D Ring" suspenders used to hold up the equipment belt (10 pocket rifle ammo or the pistol belt) when the pack was not being used. These were used by Airborne troops. But not exclusivly.

Last item is the the pick matock carrier.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Once again Thank You very much Ade for helping me identifiy these things. I am very grateful to learn about them. JHamblen