MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

help identifing webbing

Article about: hello again could someone please identify this webbing and tell me what kind of money it is worth please There is also the poncho to go with the webbing. thanks again wayne.

bow
    ?

Default help identifing webbing

hello again could someone please identify this webbing and tell me what kind of money it is worth please

There is also the poncho to go with the webbing.

thanks again
    wayne.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help identifing webbing   help identifing webbing  

help identifing webbing   help identifing webbing  

help identifing webbing   help identifing webbing  

Default Re: help identifing webbing

Hi, this is British 1958 (58) Pattern Webbing, your set is nearly complete, apart from the waterbottle pouch and the large pack. There are loads of addition pouches such as one for the SR6 Respirator, pistol etc. This type of webbing was still used by the Army Cadets in the area up until very recently (Prior to cadets getting PLCE issued). As for the value, its sadly worth nothing much as complete sets can be found for next to nothing and no one in the right mind would buy this for actual use when PLCE kit is available quite cheap too

Thanks

Danny
    Last edited by GasMasksUK; 05-14-2010 at 10:23 AM.

But doesn't mean it's not desired, As a post war collector (For canadian gear though) I know there are more out there. and (not sure about 58, but I know it's the story with 51 canadian) Just because it's everywhere in surplus stores, doesn't mean it's easy to find online, It's not some rare SS Dagger or something, but I've seen 20 of them for every 51 pattern belt I've seen online. once again, Not sure if this is the case with 58, but It bloody well could be.

bow
    ?

thanks for the replys guys i got the webbing and a 1917 6pd shell case for £25 and this was in one of the pouches

That belt looks to be US, as for the date I'm unsure and this type of belt is heavily reproduced so it might not even be a genuine ex issue item.

Thanks

Danny

ILH
    ?

Hi Wayne,
    just to fill out Danny and Ypres replies a bit; GB£ on UK market:

58pat Infantry battle order, grade 1 (used but undamaged)- £5-15
    Most surplus shops/ ebay should have a Mk2(strap and buckle closure) waterbottle pouch for a few quid. Same with the Mk1(canvas) or Mk2(nylon) gasmask bags, for a fiver or less. Don't let 'em tell you the great pack is worth a tenner- they are useless without the webbing.
    And then there's the pick axe- they came on the market a few years ago and there's still a few about (if you're as sad about webbing as I am )
    Most of the other pouches are for other 58 setups- officers, armoured, etc.
    58pat Poncho (olive green nylon, eyelets, popers on two edges and more near foot for attaching to 58 sleeping bag- that the right one?) grade 1 -£5-10 (it's getting hard to find good ones).
    WW1 shell cases are going up slowly- £5-10.
    US style belt is almost certainly a camping shop knock-off - I'd use it for work or bin it.
    All in all you've done about right, I reckon . Now is the time to complete it- the market is flooded, so hold your money and dig around to get the mint bits cheap- good luck!
    jim.

bow
    ?

thanks for the reply jim
    i will keep an eye out for the bits i need
    i got a near mint poncho with the webbing so i only need water pouch , big pack, gas bag n pick axe.

wayne

?

Quote by bow View Post
    thanks for the reply jim
    i will keep an eye out for the bits i need
    i got a near mint poncho with the webbing so i only need water pouch , big pack, gas bag n pick axe.

wayne

Hi Wayne,

Just one thing to watch out for, make sure that when you get the waterbottle and mug, that you actually get a BRITISH one. Its easily identified, it should have the NSN, (NATO Stock Number), moulded on the base or side. There are a LOT of cheap foreign import copies of these around that look exactly like the British one.
    There is also a short spade available as well as the pick-axe

Because there is a large glut of 58ptn kit on the market at present, dont just dive for the first piece that you see, there are loads of G1 or better kit available so you can hunt around for the best quality that you can afford, its fairly cheap price wise at present anyway.

Two fairly cheap and decent reference books to get that will help quite a lot are the ones below.

Europa Militaria No 34: British Post-War Jungle Webbing
    ISBN: 978-1-84797-086-2

Europa Militaria No 35: Modern British Webbing Equipment
    ISBN: 978-1-84797-140-1

Both books are written by Simon Howlett and published by Crowood Press.

RRP, when I got my copies earlier this year was £10:95 each.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy