MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help identifying a British canteen

Article about: Hi there, I came across this supposedly original WW2 British Canteen and was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying if it is indeed original or in fact a copy. The seller has no in

Default help identifying a British canteen

Hi there, I came across this supposedly original WW2 British Canteen and was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying if it is indeed original or in fact a copy. The seller has no information on it but seems to sell a lot of relics and has 100% feedback. Ive noticed that the strap is not nearly as wide as the strap that is evident on the widely used P-37 and it seems to be in very good condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the second one with the leather strap is another one and i am also wondering if this to if from the ww2 era.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help identifying a British canteen   help identifying a British canteen  

help identifying a British canteen   help identifying a British canteen  

?

That is a British Canteen that was made in 1943 or later, they went to green paint in 43 instead of using the Blue enamel

Hi there thanks for the reply, which one? the Top one or the bottom one with the leather straps? also are they genuine?

?

According to the article in Militaria Magazine by R. J. Dennis and J Bosworth many years ago the MKVII Green enamel Bottle with the loop for the string was introduced in 1939. The green felt covers which replaced the WW1 pattern buff colour was introduced in 1933. The Blue version for the RAF was introduced in 1940. The Canadians carried on using the WW1 colour into WW2.

thank you , so your saying that the one in the bottem 4 pictures is a genuine ww2 water canteen?

i have just been informed by the seller of the bottem canteen that the inside is blue but outside color is khaki color. would this be the right combination for an original. also he informed me that the bolt is more than likely a replacment

?

Both bottles are WW11 due to the loop. I am not familiar with that colour combination. The top cover is WW2 and the bottom one could be either WW2 or WW1. Obviously missing its strap and neither is worth much.

thanks for your help. last question. the top looks to be in very good condition. could it be a replica? also the strap is not the same as the ones I see on google, could this be a replacement?

?

No one would repro such athing as worth so little. The top one is the WW2 version of the 03 pattern carrier used by the Home Guard and others.

okay thanks so the top one model group was probably never used in combat?

and as far as you know the bottom could be a fake as the colour scheme does not match.

you know an awful lot about this, very impressed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast