Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help IDing Gas Mask

Article about: Hello, this is my first post after being abit of a lurker around here so i hope this is in the right place. Recently after visiting the War & Peace Show my Grandad gave me his old gasmar

?

Smile Help IDing Gas Mask

Hello, this is my first post after being abit of a lurker around here so i hope this is in the right place. Recently after visiting the War & Peace Show my Grandad gave me his old gasmark along with his dog tags aswell. I was wondering if anyone could id what gas mask it is, when it was from, is it safe to wear, what other items such a bags foir it might go with it etc and also about the dog tags if possible. Now that i have this and a small collection of bullets i want to get more but before that id like to know what i already have if possible, so thank you for any help anyone may give

Help IDing Gas Mask

Help IDing Gas Mask

Help IDing Gas Mask

Help IDing Gas Mask

Help IDing Gas Mask

Help IDing Gas Mask

Help IDing Gas Mask

Help IDing Gas Mask

Help IDing Gas Mask

Thnkas

Default Re: Help IDing Gas Mask

That kind of gas mask was originally introduced during WW2 by the British, though it was also used post-war, and also by Canada, if I remember correctly. Do not wear with the filter, as many used asbestos which is harmful to inhale.

Mat

This one has me well and truely stumped I can tell you that its a variation of the Light Anti Gas Respirator. The metal pieces such as the eyepiece retaining rings and in the exhale valve/speech diaphragm are painted black which is a characteristic of Canadian versions. What is very unusual is the filter mount/thread. Originally these masks would have had a 60mm filter mount/thread which was continued into until the introduction of the SR6 respirator which had the 40mm NATO filter mount/thread. However after the war, many masks were sent over to Denmark with 60mm to 40mm adaptors so they could be used with more up to date filters. The mask you have seems to have a permentantly fitted thread for the 40mm filter unlike any that I've seen before.

Would you be able to post some photographs of where the head harness joins the mask, and the filter mount?

Also, I wouldnt recommend wearing it with the filter as its expired

Thanks

Danny

Danny, I thought you'd reply to this- your knowledge is impressive!

Mat

?

Thank you both of you for the quick replys, i havent worn it with the filter on so will stay away from that now Ill get some more pictures of it tommorrow of the areas that you have asked for, hopefully youll be able to work out what it is from them

Thanks for the help
    Tom

?

Heres some more pictures of the areas you have asked for, hope they are of the right areas and hopefully they will be able to help you work out what i have
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help IDing Gas Mask   Help IDing Gas Mask  

Help IDing Gas Mask   Help IDing Gas Mask  

Help IDing Gas Mask   Help IDing Gas Mask  

Help IDing Gas Mask  

Well, its of British manufacture like I assumed. The only logical explanation that I can come up with is that its some sort of trials mask made prior to the developement of the SR6 Respirator or some sort of mask that was made up to post war specs in order for it to be of use in Denmark which might explain the European filter. The white tape is interesting though, as it looks to have been put on the filter before the label was applied and is also the same as the white tape on the mask.....very strange but none the less interesting The filter mount/thread looks to have the original one still there underneath the mystery fitting. You could try to gently turn it anti-clockwise and see if it unscrews to reveal the original fitting too, also maybe asking your grandad about it might give us some clues?

Thanks and welcome to the forum

Danny