MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help - Leather flying helmet and Goggles

Article about: What period are these from and which country were they used by, I believe these to be WW2 or slightly post WW2 and used by British pilots. My issue is that I have never seen the battery size

Default Help - Leather flying helmet and Goggles

What period are these from and which country were they used by, I believe these to be WW2 or slightly post WW2 and used by British pilots.

My issue is that I have never seen the battery sized bits on the outside of the hat before, I dont have a clue!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help - Leather flying helmet and Goggles   Help - Leather flying helmet and Goggles  

Help - Leather flying helmet and Goggles  

Default re: Help - Leather flying helmet and Goggles

Hi Guy, this is not all what I was thinking this might be when we spoke via PM. What I can tell you is, it is not British WW2 issue or later. Problem is, I don't know what is actually is.

I think you need to be looking at earlier than WW2.

Could we see the inside please? Any makers markings on the snap fasteners?

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Help - Leather flying helmet and Goggles

Hi Ade,

The plot thickens...

Now Im in a quandry, it says HENRY A. MURTON - NEWCASTLE-ON-TYNE hidden inside (never saw this before).

When searching for a Henry A Murton company I just get a Henry A Murton's department store in Newcastle that was synonymous with sports equipment. This store close around 1950/55.

It looks like this may have been a lesuire pilots leather flying helmet.

Do you know anything about the goggles also?

Heres the pic of the inside...

Hi Guy, it could be civvy or even a motoring helmet. In the early days of car travel right up to the early 1930's leather helmets were worn.

The googles are British for sure. I cannot remember the type off hand.

Cheers, Ade.

JIMSJEEP
    ?

These goggles are typical of goggles made by Pride and Clarke for motorcyclists during the sixties seventies, as I my self bought a pair and used them on my bike.

hmmm i think im lost now...thanks for the input Jim....maybe Ill sell it on Ebay and use the funds on something that is definately WW2 related lol

Hi guys, The4 goggles.... they are mark VIII's .... these were used during the war and after... they were also heavily reproduced as mentioned earlier for use on motorcycles and the likes : P do they have any markings on them ? if they have made in England on them they are definitely reproduction

Tim

Hi Guy,

If the goggles are RAF issue, they should have an Air Ministry 'AM' stamp on the bridge of the nose behind the adjustment bar. The colour of the goggle frames are incorrect, they should be a dark grey. I have owned a pair that appear identical to yours, and they were made by a company called 'Stadium' for motorcyclists in the '50s and '60s.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.