Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with Bayonet Frog ID

Article about: Hi Guys Can someone please help me identify this bayonet frog and when it was likely made. It is either British or Australian but most of the marks are too blurred to read properly. Regards

Question Help needed with Bayonet Frog ID

Hi Guys

Can someone please help me identify this bayonet frog and when it was likely made.

It is either British or Australian but most of the marks are too blurred to read properly.

Regards Dutchy

NCA
    ?

I'm not familiar with Australian stuff but its not British made.On British Jungle green webbing (44 pattern) there is an 'AF' code.The Brit code is AF0261 for the no5 carbine bayonet frog.

Default Thank you!

Quote by NCA View Post
    I'm not familiar with Australian stuff but its not British made.On British Jungle green webbing (44 pattern) there is an 'AF' code.The Brit code is AF0261 for the no5 carbine bayonet frog.
    Thanks for that NCA

Does this mean it is 44 pattern?

I understand that 44 pattern webbing came in to service in about 1945. Any idea how long was it in service?

Does anyone know if the 44 pattern webbing was used in Australia?

Regards Dutchy

P44 equipment was used in Malaya/Borneo and late Korea by Australian Troops, parts of the equipment were used in SVN also.

ILH
    ?

It isn't regular British 44pattern.
    To add to NCA's comment on the code AF0261.... This changed in the 50s to CN2006 and later to NSN 8465-99-973-2006..... So none of the readable numbers are the same as on your example. Also the handle loop isn't right - is it elastic? (If so its either a later addition or it probably wasn't made before the 1970s).

The Dutch also had their own 44 webbing (bigger metal work), but I've never seen any of it with markings.
    The broad arrows say its British Commonwealth, but I know little of Australian, new Zealand, Hong Kong, or African variants. 44 continued in British service pretty much up to 1990, fading out as it mixed with 58 towards the end, but manufacture dates after 1968 are rare.

Intriguing, thanks for posting.