Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Home Guard and ATS pattern water bottle carrier

Article about: Hiya, this was special pattern of webbing carrier issued to the Home Guard and ATS. As neither organisation wore 1937 pattern webbing they needed a web harness to carry the MK VII water bott

Default Home Guard and ATS pattern water bottle carrier

Hiya, this was special pattern of webbing carrier issued to the Home Guard and ATS. As neither organisation wore 1937 pattern webbing they needed a web harness to carry the MK VII water bottle.

I bought these in the good old days when the water bottles were £1.50 and the slings 50p.

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Guard and ATS pattern water bottle carrier   Home Guard and ATS pattern water bottle carrier  

Default Re: Home Guard and ATS pattern water bottle carrier

Wow they look mint, I'm sure they look great with your uniforms Lez and what a price too.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Hi Eric, thanks.

I wish prices were still like that. We are only going back 12 years at most, which is as long as I have been collecting. A good friend of mine and Ade's who is a dealer now charges £26 for the web carrier alone.

Cheers, Lez.

Those were the days Now gone, unfortunately...

The proper name for the carrier was "Carrier, Waterbottle, Other Services", the 'other services' being those not using 1937 Web. It seems they were introduced in the mid-WW2 period and replaced the leather version which had the same name. After the introduction of the web version, the leather one was renamed "Carrier, Waterbottle, Home Guard Pattern". The leather version developed from the Carrier, Waterbottle, Mk I introduced around 1901.

Rob

There was another type of general service water bottle carrier provided later on too. In the form of a standard 1937 pattern cradle with standard shoulder brace/cross strap attached as a shoulder strap, with standard khaki bottle.
    I'd have thought it was just a cobbled up item except I saw a load of them, ready assembled as described, in their original labelled packaging.