Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Home Guard Dummy Rifle

Article about: I have been given a Home Guard Dummy or parade rifle for use in training. I believe it came from Haslemere Home Guard. It is crudely cut out of a piece of 8x2 with a band saw but has been fi

Default Home Guard Dummy Rifle

I have been given a Home Guard Dummy or parade rifle for use in training. I believe it came from Haslemere Home Guard.

It is crudely cut out of a piece of 8x2 with a band saw but has been finished quite nicely. It is missing the end of the barrel and some varnish. I assume the red band is depicting the issued rifles have .30-06 ammunition not the standard .303.

It is photographed with a WW1 Rifle Valise which I picked up locally.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Guard Dummy Rifle   Home Guard Dummy Rifle  

Home Guard Dummy Rifle   Home Guard Dummy Rifle  

Home Guard Dummy Rifle  
    Last edited by Roger M; 09-13-2018 at 10:09 PM.

I have seen several wood dummy rifles from the WWI Era for the US M1917 Rifle All of them included the bayonet area with a blunt end. Looks like you have nice item. Are there stamps on the trigger guard? Looks like there is some type of stamps or writing in the 2nd pic.
    John

Unfortunately the marks that look like writing are rough saw marks, nothing else that I can see.

This dummy certainly had a barrel end at some point as it is broken and the remains of much glue which has tried to hold it in place. I am trying to decide whether I should sand it back, drill and insert a dowel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Guard Dummy Rifle  

I would leave it as it may have been broken during a training exercise in lieu of playing with after.
    John

I recently picked up this Home Guard Greatcoat in an absolutely disgusting state full of moth and insects. Obviously not allowed into the house !

I am saving the arms with the badges which should look quite ok when mounted in a frame. Its good that it is from a local (Alton) Home Guard Division which covered our area. According to the home clearance guy it still had live ammunition in the pocket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Guard Dummy Rifle   Home Guard Dummy Rifle