Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

How can i clean this cover and un-dent canteen!!!

Article about: Hi i recently purchased this canteen cover and canteen and its a GREAT PIECE ALL MATCHING! but alas the covers dirty and needs a good cleaning and the canteen is a huge dent on both sides!!!

Default How can i clean this cover and un-dent canteen!!!

Hi i recently purchased this canteen cover and canteen and its a GREAT PIECE ALL MATCHING! but alas the covers dirty and needs a good cleaning and the canteen is a huge dent on both sides!!! How can i clean the cover without damaging it and how can i un-dent the canteen without damaging that too?? - nick k

How can i clean this cover and un-dent canteen!!!How can i clean this cover and un-dent canteen!!!How can i clean this cover and un-dent canteen!!!

Default Re: How can i clean this cover and un-dent canteen!!!

Hi Nick. I would be extremely careful trying to do any cleaning of the material. I would first try cleaning it in warm water by hand with woolite. Beware, it is very difficult to tell how much color you may loose. It may loose almost all of it's color, so keep that in mind before you do any cleaning. Take the end of a compressed air hose and stick the nozzel into the neck of the canteen. Then plug the hole with heavy molding clay around the the air hose end piece. Use a C-clamp to hold the nozzel and then turn the air on VERY, VERY, SLOWLY. If it pops the clay out, put the clay back in and turn air on alittle faster until it slowly pops the metal out. If you do it slow enough, you can get it close to the original shape. Depending on how heavy the metal is, you may have to hold the clay in place with a towel. Good Luck!

Jay

Default Re: How can i clean this cover and un-dent canteen!!!

Just an idea to help it from losing too much of the original shape if you're going to do the compressor method, I'd place the canteen inside of a canteen cup to keep the shape seeing as they were made to nest.

Let us know how this all worked out for you, I'm very interested