Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Interwar Pattern 1908 W.E. Set in Pictures

Article about: Presented below is a set of Pattern 1908 webbing manufactured between 1919 and 1935. It is assembled in a configuration that is often seen in contemporary pictures of Interwar Empire forces,

?

Great post Warspite!! I love the period picture!

It is fascinating that they continued to sew the rear closure strap on diagonally and without a brass tip on a carrier manufactured to the new specs. It is also interesting that they didn't modify pattern 1919 waterbottle carriers (which were designed prior to the 1921 modification). Khaki (not blue-gray) Pattern 1925 waterbottle carriers were also top closing since they were designed after 1921.

?

?

Another picture of of the 1st Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment wearing their webbing in the interwar style in Waziristan in 1936.

?

excellent set up. 08 patt webbing still looks great whatever period! very informative too.

?

Thanks MG1918, I'm glad you found it informative! I love the interwar period personally!

Another interesting image of 08 webbing being worn by a scouting patrol in Razmak, NW Frontier by the North Lancashire Regiment in 1931. The point to notice here is the looping of the shoulder brace back on itself over the belt rather than a seperate brace attachment, I've included a close up to show the bit I mean. Another way of wearing the kit that is not in the book!

Interwar Pattern 1908 W.E. Set in PicturesInterwar Pattern 1908 W.E. Set in Pictures

?

Great photo Warspite!

I've seen the brace looped around the belt during the Great War, by soldiers issued with pistol equipment, but no brace adapters. The soldier in your photo does not appear to have a holster, but he does look like he's wearing a pack. Perhaps he is using the belt/braces as a counter balance for his large pack?

?

Here's a shot from "World War II in HD Colour: The Mediterranean and North Africa" showing British troops advancing in North Africa. Notice how they are wearing their waterbottles over the center back of their Pattern 1937 belts, reminiscent of interwar troops and their style of wearing their Pattern 1908 webbing.

?

Here's a great shot of soldiers from the 1st Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment on operations in India circa1932-1938. Take a look at the how the waterbottle carrier's gated buckles attach the the brace above the back buckles on the waistbelt on the man with the Vickers. Also note how the diagonal strap of the cartridge carrier tucks into the waistbelt's back buckle, since it was not needed when carrying the large pack rucksack style.

?

Here's another view of the KD bayonet cover, here used in North Africa...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2