Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Israeli used WW2 british canteen?

Article about: Bought this canteen in an antique store in Israel. Appears British. Thanks in advance! Pics:

Default Israeli used WW2 british canteen?

Bought this canteen in an antique store in Israel. What kind of canteen is this? Appears British. Thanks in advance!

Pics:

?

Britain was the occupying ruler of Palestine from 1917 to 1948, when Israel won its independence in 1948. So British equipment would have been in that area for quite sometime.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hey chickenpuffball,

I believe that is a Belgian waterbottle in a Mills 1915 Equipment carrier.

I believe these go for a lot of money, but I can't say exactly how much because I've never seen one for sale.

Nice find!

Belgian Mills 1915 Equipment | Mills Web Equipment

Wow, didn't expect that! Thank you very much for the ID. I'm going to start a topic on USMF asking for it's appraisal: Error - U.S. Militaria Forum

There they'll close the topic if it isn't US made or used.

According to the link karkee posted this canteen was manufactured in the US.

Karkee does not indicate the Canteen was made in the US.

I do not think that this particular piece that you posted is a US made piece of web gear or a US manufactured canteen. The website that you referred to is vague with the information in that it states "This equipment was made in the United States by the Mills Woven Cartridge Manufacturing Company. This is indicated by the "Mills 1915" Marking."

If this web gear was made in the US, there should be a marking similar to the picture that I have posted. I also do not think that the Mills Company was making canteens. I believe they just specialized in web gear, cartridge belts, pistol belts and other web gear..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Israeli used WW2 british canteen?  

I do not see any marking on the strap of my canteen however, there is text inside the button which says "Mills Military". There is another word which is unreadable. You're right about the canteen, I have no indication it was US made.

Now we have a place to start.. I will check and see when Mills started to stamp items Mills Military..

Smitty

Thank you! Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast