Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Lamp, Electric, No.1

Article about: Hi Guys, as this torch was discussed in another thread in the Polish forum, I thought it might be useful to add a thread here about them with some pics. From my collection and still in worki

Default Lamp, Electric, No.1

Hi Guys, as this torch was discussed in another thread in the Polish forum, I thought it might be useful to add a thread here about them with some pics.

From my collection and still in working order. As can be seen, the lens can be coloured or clear with a twist of the white metal knob. The clip on the back allows it to be tucked onto the belt. The blackout hood shades the light from above. Often these are mistakenly sold as Bicycle lamps. They can also be found in service brown paint.

Maker is "C.H. Ltd"

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lamp, Electric, No.1   Lamp, Electric, No.1  

Lamp, Electric, No.1   Lamp, Electric, No.1  

Lamp, Electric, No.1  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: Lamp, Electric, No.1

Hi Ade,

Here are mine:

Regards,
    S.

Default Re: Lamp, Electric, No.1

Thanks, nice examples. The bike lamp is harder to find.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi all,
    I try to give my contribution, showing two examples of my collection.

Cheers
    Roberto

Lamp, Electric, No.1

Lamp Electric N°1-"ER. Co LTD" green painted.
    Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1

Lamp Electric N°1-"CH LTD" brown painted.
    Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1Lamp, Electric, No.1

?

Great post Ade!

Do you have any idea of the date of these lamps, as they are never dated. When did they enter production?

Never seen one dated as far as I can recall?

But they are certainly wartime.

Cheers, Ade.

Interesting looking lamps. What powers them?

They are battery powered. I don't think you can buy the correct battery now, but you can rig them up.

Cheers, Ade.

These lamps are still plentiful but I just got one at the fleamarket. It is in service brown and very likely made by the Ever Ready Co. although markings are very hard to read. It lacks the adjustable lens with knob and the wire handle but other than that it seems to be in good condition. I did some research on the original no. 800 battery and found these pics on eBay, so I thought I'd add them here for reference:

Lamp, Electric, No.1

Lamp, Electric, No.1

Lamp, Electric, No.1

I think the diameter is the same as a standard D-cell although the no. 800 is longer. According to the seller it measures approx 8.2cm x 6.7cm x 3.2cm overall; each individual cell measures approx 8.2cm x 3.35cm x 3.2cm.

It should be possible to rig something up from 2 modern 1,5V D-cell batteries and a 3V lamp with E10 screw fitting to get it working again... would be fun to try and might even use a LED light.

?

My Aussie one is made by "Kempthorne Aust 1943" and also has the D^D stamp and an inspectors stamp. Colour is dark green.

Oz.