Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Leather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' - WW1/WW2/INTERWAR

Article about: Afternoon. I was hoping for information on the following item. Including who it may have been used by / rough date. Embossed CARR Q.F 18PR MKIV & IVR I understand that 18 Pounder guns we

Default Leather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' - WW1/WW2/INTERWAR

Afternoon.

I was hoping for information on the following item. Including who it may have been used by / rough date.

Embossed CARR Q.F 18PR MKIV & IVR

I understand that 18 Pounder guns were used throughout the wars. '
    'The 18-pounder was used on all fronts during the First World War. It remained in service during the inter-war period. Starting in 1938, carriages Marks IV and V were converted to 25 Pounder Ordnance QF Mark 1 on Carriage Mark 1. 18-pounder Guns served with the British Expeditionary Force in France in the Second World War and were used in other theatres as well as for training or beach defence'.

Would this suggest the case dates between WW1-WW2? Made from a thick hide.

I was also wondering what the IVR stood for? Was this perhaps the carriage ?

Appreciate your time.

Warm Regards, Gillan Bell.

Leather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWARLeather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWARLeather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWARLeather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWARLeather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWARLeather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWARLeather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWARLeather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWARLeather briefcase embossed ' Carr Q.F 18 PR. MK IV & IVR ' -  WW1/WW2/INTERWAR

Carr = Carriage

Mark IV R is for the Mark IV carriage with rubber tyres.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Thank you. The data sheet is most helpful.

I have since been able to source the following information with regards to the 'IVR' - Where I believe it was also used with the 60PR.

- 'In the 1930s, as the British Army started to fully mechanise, all guns were converted to mechanised towing. Initially, this was by fitting heavy wooden wheels with solid rubber tyres, the carriages becoming Mks IIITR, IVR and VR. Subsequently, wooden wheels were replaced by new axles, steel wheels, pneumatic tyres and modern brakes. The Mk IV and V carriages had a British conversion to produce the Mk IVP and VP on 9.00 X 16" wheels. The Mk IIs, with their pole trails, had the American 'Martin Parry' conversion to produce the Mk IIPA on 7.50 X 24" wheels. Unlike other guns, 18-pdr was not converted to Probert pattern calibrating sights.
    Introduction of a new streamlined shell, Mk 1C, with a 4/7.5 crh increased maximum range to 11,100 yards with Mks III, IV and V carriages.

Starting in 1938, Mk IV and V carriages were used for the new Ordnance QF 25-pdr Mk 1. This was a conversion from the 18-pdr Mk IV Ordnance. The calibre was increased from 84 mm to 87.6 mm by changing the liner.'

- '60 pounder remained unchanged except for carriage modifications to enable mechanisation and new sights. Carriages were first the Mk IVR carriage that had wooden wheels and solid rubber tyres and later the Mk IVP carriage had metal wheels, pneumatic tyres and appropriate brakes. South Africa developed a new carriage of their own design from the Mk 1, this used pneumatic tyred wheels on a two-wheel bogie.'

Would this suggest the case dates from the early 1930s - 1938 - Before the conversion from 18 to 25? - Or perhaps later , as I understand it was used post WW2 also.

As for the use. I can only guess it was used by an officer for paperwork or equipment of some sort? The size is 30x20x7cm approx.

All the best.

Regards, Gillan Bell

Possibly used for range tables, field manuals or the like?