Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

leather frog on a k98 dagger

Article about: unknown leather frog,who can help me ?

Default leather frog on a k98 dagger

unknown leather frog,who can help me ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture leather frog on a k98 dagger   leather frog on a k98 dagger  

leather frog on a k98 dagger   leather frog on a k98 dagger  

?

It is unfamiliar to me, but looks very well made. If no one has identified it by this evening, I will do some digging after work.

Jim

?

Also, you might send Larry C a pm and have him move it to the k98 forum. It will get more attention there.

?

It's similar to the British Naval Pattern 1901 bayonet frog...

Pattern 1901 Naval Accoutrements

nearly similar but different

leather frog on a k98 daggerleather frog on a k98 daggerleather frog on a k98 dagger

It is a Dutch (Netherlands) frog. These frogs were in use for the so called "klewang" a Dutch short sabre. Originally designed for use by our forces in the former Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia). The klewang was also widely used by the Netherlands metropolitan forces and the navy. Even many police forces in the Netherlands were equiped with this formidable weapon.

The frog is marked with the CM (central warehouse) stamp. It was issued in 1922 (not neccesarily the date of production).

I added a few pics. The bottom klewang is an Indonesian copy made by the TNI in the late forties

Cheers,
    Emile
    Attached Images Attached Images leather frog on a k98 dagger 
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 04-15-2015 at 11:40 AM.

?

Great information! I have seen many "Klewangs", but never have I seen the frog for one. Is this a somewhat rare item, or just here in the states?

Jim

These frogs are not common anymore. There exist a great variety. Ones used in Indonesia, those used by police, navy army etc. etc. Yours is a Netherlands army used one. No doubt captured by the Germans in 1940 and put to use again.

Cheers,

Emile

thanks Emile for the reply,I became it from a frind ,his grandfather take it from the Germans the end of the war.

cheers Jos