Become our sponsor and display your banner here

M1919a4 browning serial no help

Article about: I have seen a m1919a4 30cal browning machine gun that i am interested in doing a deal with but i would like to know if its of ww2 manufacture, its made by saginaw and its serial no starts wi

Default M1919a4 browning serial no help

I have seen a m1919a4 30cal browning machine gun that i am interested in doing a deal with but i would like to know if its of ww2 manufacture, its made by saginaw and its serial no starts with the digits 260 etc. i have looked on the net and cannot find any lists of manufacture etc, can anyone help me please? also as i know nothing about these guns, can anyone tell me if the tripod is or should be dated / maker marked or not?
    many thanks in anticipation
    jamie

one more thing did these guns come with a wooden carrying handle? the one i have seen has one, but others i have seen pics of dont have one, was this a standard issue thing? or added by personal preference?

Default Re: M1919a4 browning serial no help

Saginaw is most likely Saginaw Steering Gear division of General Motors, which I should think would make it WWII manufactured.

Dusty

cheers dusty

It is WW2 with a low number like that. My 1945 A6 is a 800 thousand serial number.

It wouldn't have a handle, its most liekly a 1919A6 item

Tripod originally had a data plate screwed on to the head where the front leg is but these often fell off or were removed and were remarked on the head in diffrent places. Many post war M2 pods were stamped on the head right where the ejected rounds fall.

Where have you seen it? If you are in the UK, I think I know the one.

Just had a look and it is the same one, the gun under it is supposed to be a 1919A6 but its not. Its a A4 with a Israeli butt and bipod. The bipod is alot diffrent to the true GI version!

Have you seen this one, it looks a better deal.

.30cal M1919 - Deactivated Weapons - MILWEB CLASSIFIEDS

If you do want the other one, make him an offer as I believe he sometimes knocks quite a bit of money off if an item isnt selling (This ones been there for a few months). I was told he was willing to knock 200 off a gun advertised for 1000 so that tells you somthing. Anyways, he's asking too much in my opinion so dont rush your decision.

many thanks for your help i appreciate it
    jamie