Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

/|\ Marked Table Knife

Article about: This table knife arrived in the post today. For some reason these are really hard to find with the broad arrow marking- I have been hunting second hand boxes of cutlery for a few years now w

Default /|\ Marked Table Knife

This table knife arrived in the post today. For some reason these are really hard to find with the broad arrow marking- I have been hunting second hand boxes of cutlery for a few years now with no luck (forks and spoons are easy to find). This wasn't cheap, and I am certainly not telling my wife how much I paid for a "manky old knife", but I am very happy to have added one to my collection at last!
    /|\ Marked Table Knife/|\ Marked Table Knife
    Ed

?

Never saw one of these before.

They are like /|\ marked toothbrushes and hen's teeth... This is the first one I've ever had chance to see in the flesh

You have the same problem as me....my wife for some odd reason thinks German Daggers are worth $300

I did mention it in quick and in a low voice in passing from one room to another
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Would this have been a mess knife or an issue knife?
    Australian rising sun mess spoons and forks are easy to find, but the knives seem to be a lot harder, along with tea spoons.

Oz.

It would be for use in training and the field by ORs. Mess cutlery is normally far higher quality with the regimental crest stamped on the handle etc.

?

I've looked for one for a while too! Great knife!

Thanks, I bought it from World War Wonders, they still have a few more left if anyone is interested. They are the only ones with any stock of them I know of...

We have several sets (100+) they are not 1945 but a bit later. I think the mess will sell them for a reasonable sum - form an orderly queue!

Its the wartime dated ones that are really rare for some reason. I've seen fifties dated and later ones come up fairly regularly, but the earlier ones are much harder to find. The only thing I can think is that my knife is much poorer quality than most civilian cutlery of the era- the blade is not made of stainless steel and it is held together with obvious copper rivets through the handle- so they were discarded rather than finding their way into civilian cutlery drawers when sodliers demobbed like the forks and spoons seem to have done.