Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mid wars British gas masks.

Article about: I got sent these images a while ago now so i dont know where they originate from but i thought you all might be interested to see some images of some earlier types of British service respira

NCA
    ?

Thumbs up Mid wars British gas masks.

I got sent these images a while ago now so i dont know where they originate from but i thought you all might be interested to see some images of some earlier types of British service respirators.If you have one of these types them please post some pics as i would love to see more!!

Mid wars British gas masks.Mid wars British gas masks.

Default Re: Mid wars British gas masks.

Very nice but these are new to me so were these after the avon no4?but before the m43?.............Jake.

NCA
    ?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Very nice but these are new to me so were these after the avon no4?but before the m43?.............Jake.
    I'm not sure what you mean?...As far as i know these masks are post 1918.Late 20's into the 30's?They predate the MKIV put it that way.I cannot find any info on them.

Sorry never read the title properly,most certainly prewar,they look great but have never seen one for sale anywhere..............Jake.

I have just ordered a gas mask bag which is marked 1932 with broad arrow but also with 1942 stamped. Would this originally have been for one of these and then re-issued for the later ones?

NCA
    ?

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    I have just ordered a gas mask bag which is marked 1932 with broad arrow but also with 1942 stamped. Would this originally have been for one of these and then re-issued for the later ones?
    It could well be.Does it have a leather tab like the WW1 british bags?Post some pics of it when it arrives.

I'm trying to build up info on british gas masks up to the introduction of the MK1 light respirator.This is what i have:

Early ww1- chemical impregnated cloth tied to wearers face.
    Hypo hood.
    Small box respirator.
    After that..i've no idea!The next one i'm familiar with is the MKIV and V.Any information would be great and pictures even better.

Vicky, This service respirator I have is dated 1929 and 1930, with wartime filter and accessories, so its very likely your bag would originally have housed a mask like this. It also rather suggests that these other masks, which I have not seen before, might date before 1929. The soldiers in the picture appear to be wearing the pre 1935 Norfolk Regiment badge, but the ladies look rather wartime.

As to which model my mask is, I would like to know myself. It is not marked with a model number.

Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mid wars British gas masks.   Mid wars British gas masks.  

NCA
    ?

Looks to me like the exhale assembly was changed sometime in the twenties then...In my pictures you can see the flapper valves like what you see on the civilian duty masks.

The masks at the start of this thread are Mk.III's, as has already been said these were used until the introduction of the Mk.IV (shown by Douglas). The Mk.IV shown on this thread is one of the early ones, the biggest give away characteristic is how the fabric covering the facepiece is joined just beneath the eyepieces.

I'll get some period photographs up soon, these more seldom seen respirators are somewhat a speciality for me

Thanks

Danny

It didn't take me as long as I thought to find some photos.... enjoy

Mk.III being worn on the left, the others are wearing Mk.IV's

Mk.III's being worn by a tank crew

The mask on the left is somewhat a mystery, they are very seldom seen, in fact I have only ever seen one example for sale. My assumption was that they were intended for use by the Royal Navy as the majority of photographs showing them are on board ships. This particular photo is of two Royal Marines, the other wearing a Mk.IV.

Mk.III's

Mk.III's, a lot of them!

Two more of those mystery "naval" masks, shown on the right with a Mk.IV on the right.

Mk.III's

Thanks

Danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast