Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Military golf club bag?

Article about: I know this is a bit strange but has anyone heard of military made golf club bags, ie for officers? I have what appears to be a set of golf clubs (mostly hickory wood) and the bag seems to b

Many thanks Visor.... bloody iPad, I can never get pics right with it.

Quote by ILH View Post
    things like these for private purchase. MECo, MWS Ltd, or Finnigans are the main suspects.
    So for clarity, as I suggested in post #2 above, not an official military issue item but made for commercial sale to military personnel such as PRI shops (similar to PX outlets).
    This is still common practice today and I wonder how many map cases, holdalls or even camouflage umbrellas will confuse and confound collectors of the future?
    I love these sort of "side issues" that add so much interest to the hobby overall. To me this kind of ephemera qualifies as militaria every bit as much as any mainstream official issue item does. If it was owned and used by serving personnel then it has a place in a collection of similar items!

Regards

Mark

PS
    Private purchase uniform items are almost as common as some issued pieces and don't forget how many "extra" qualificatation badges and awards were purchased (especially TR items) by entitled personnel to wear on different uniforms when only one was actually issued.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-11-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark,
    You are spot on.
    Originally, ‘Suttlers’ sold these items (18th/19thC).
    I love these little quirky bits too, adding humour, practicality and normality in a difficult period.
    I normally buy to restore and trade but I normally end up keeping the more unusual items, mainly because they are so difficult to evaluate.
    Neil.

Quote by Meekumslr View Post
    Mark,
    You are spot on.
    Originally, ‘Suttlers’ sold these items (18th/19thC).
    I love these little quirky bits too, adding humour, practicality and normality in a difficult period.
    I normally buy to restore and trade but I normally end up keeping the more unusual items, mainly because they are so difficult to evaluate.
    Neil.
    Hahaha, I'm standing by for the certain question "what's a sutler";

Sutler - Wikipedia

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

ILH
    ?

My one was thrown to out by the local surplus shop because it is pretty tatty and they thought no one would want it...... I was shocked and rescued it immediately.... It's one of my favourite bits!
    Also the idea of trying to play golf in the jungle cracks me up..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military golf club bag?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2