Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Military golf club bag?

Article about: I know this is a bit strange but has anyone heard of military made golf club bags, ie for officers? I have what appears to be a set of golf clubs (mostly hickory wood) and the bag seems to b

Default Military golf club bag?

I know this is a bit strange but has anyone heard of military made golf club bags, ie for officers?
    I have what appears to be a set of golf clubs (mostly hickory wood) and the bag seems to be made with p37 or p58 webbing buckles.
    I think it’s amusing but is it military related.
    I can’t see these made like this for civilians.
    Neil.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military golf club bag?   Military golf club bag?  

Military golf club bag?  

That is an interesting item for sure and I would say collectable just for the quirky and ephemeral nature of it.

It certainly looks like it was made as a golf bag rather than being converted from something else.

My theory (and it is theory) based on my own 24 years service in the British Army is that this is likely a "one off" (that might include a batch being made at the same time) produced by a talented artisan in a base workshops.
    Base workshops are at the top end of a particular theaters logistic chain and deal with fairly major work done on all kinds of equipment at major refurbishment level. Slightly lower down the chain are more local workshops at station / garrison level which have the same kind of repair facilities less complete rebuild levels of capability. In this type of workshop there are usually artisans known as "textilers", like a fabricator but working with canvass and webbing etc as oposed to metal. They can repair or even replicate vehicle canopies and equipment covers / bags and satchels etc including on occasion completely purpose specific individual items. As time goes on these facilities have become less common with more and more work being outsourced to outside companies. However, certainly as late as the '80s things of this nature were being made as a lucrative sideline by the textilers. Sometimes as single pieces or sometimes as something officially sanctioned at local level for sale in unit PRI shops (a bit like PX type places) where things like regimental sweatshirts, tracksuits etc were sold for the benefit of the unit.

I think you are correct that this might have been an "officer level" item because earlier than say 1975 it was far more likely that it would be officers playing golf than other ranks (quite different now!). This one looks very well designed which seems to me to suggest that it was not the only one but who knows, it might just have been a "special" for the CO.
    It's definately not "war fighting" equipment but I would be inclined to hang on to it a. for the interest aspect and b. because you just know that somewhere there is a photograph of it in use and therein lies provenance!!

Great piece, thanks for showing. Remember this is just a theory based on experience but I doubt I am far off the mark!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark,
    Many thanks for the reply and extensive thoughts.
    I was of the same mindset as yourself, loving it for its quirkiness and unusual nature.
    I’m already looking for photographs and probably will until I’m in the ground.
    The zips are brass and look40s/ 50s but I can’t find a date.
    Some of the clubs are old too, with Hickory shafts and one has a brass head.
    All the clubs are made in Scotland.
    I just think it’s funny mentioning 37 pattern golf clubs.
    Many thanks again, Neil.

?

Reminds me of some of the antenna-post and guy rope bags used by signallers. Do you suppose it could have been re-purposed with the tube inserts? Cool item.

mpw
    ?

Some good theories. We used very similar bags in my industry which is electricity supply. I have a blue canvas bag that holds a full set of 11000v switching rods and the attached bag holds the various heads that fix onto the rods for changing expulsion fuses etc on the overhead network.
    Back in 1987 when a hurricane more or less destroyed our overhead network I had a group of RE guys and girls working with me as they were overhead line trained and I'm sure they had kit in bags much like the one posted.
    Back in the 70's as a poor student I used to scour the famous weekly journal 'The exchange and Mart' (affectionately known as the 'Expand and fart' by us) where all sorts of ex-military clothing and kit could be purchased. So I'm wondering if this item was bought with the conversion to golf club carrier in mind.

My guess is that it wasn't originally made for golf clubs, but to hold other as yet unidentified objects. Someone, with a sense of humour saw the possibility for golf clubs. It's well made and shaped, but the cardboard tubes look out of place. Perhaps a carry bag for a folding projection screen? Numerous possibilities.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    My guess is that it wasn't originally made for golf clubs, but to hold other as yet unidentified objects. Someone, with a sense of humour saw the possibility for golf clubs. It's well made and shaped, but the cardboard tubes look out of place. Perhaps a carry bag for a folding projection screen? Numerous possibilities.
    I do see what you mean but after 24 years between the '70s and '90s getting really up close and personal with British field equipment both service issued and locally made for particular purposes this just doesn't look like it ever originated in a factory. It is very hard to explain and comes from being very familiar with the style and appearance of webb equipment but factory and artisan produced items just look different in the way they are put together. I am sure a textile industry expert could be more explicit and I am just speaking as an old "Tom". All the component parts and materials were available to the workshops textilers and they were most ingenious just like the unit carpenter who fed up with making "green square boxes" would turn out the most marvellous creations for the Officers and Sergeants Messes or the Regimental Church.

This is just the kind of thing that might be made for the CO (either at his or anothers instigation) and that would cultivate an "image" for the individual concerned.
    The type of zippers and the way they are installed, the metal and dimensions of the 'D' rings plus the construction of the straps all speak to me of an artisan 'one - off'. As a map reading instructor I frequently submitted "Map Indents" (requisitions) and the maps were delivered in very similar cardboard tubes as were training posters etc so the tubes were plentiful and tended to be recycled for all kinds of uses.
    Of course this is just my opinion and this might yet be a conversion of an existing item and if it is I would love to know. I just can't imagine what

Regards

Mark

PS By straps I mean the main carrying strap. The small attached straps look like a mixture of '37 & '58 styles
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-05-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

ILH
    ?

It isn't a one off, it really is a 1944pattern golf bag! 37 pattern golf bags also exist (more common).

The exact manufacturer is unknown, but they made 1944 pattern webbing for the army and things like these for private purchase. MECo, MWS Ltd, or Finnigans are the main suspects.

There should be pics of my one in the 44web thread, but I haven't a clue how to link it to here (sorry).

ILH... Many thanks for sharing your post re 1944 pattern golf bag.
    So now we know. I would not have believed it in a million years.
    I have visions of bored COs after Normandy, purchasing one, teeing off towards Berlin!!
    In those days, you certainly didn’t want to hit your ball into any kind of bunker.

?

Military golf club bag?Military golf club bag?Military golf club bag?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast