Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Miniature compass

Article about: Recently, I picked up a small box of mixed militaria, mostly WWII British. Included was this miniature compass, about half an inch in diameter: I've had a tough time finding a similar one on

Default Miniature compass

Recently, I picked up a small box of mixed militaria, mostly WWII British. Included was this miniature compass, about half an inch in diameter:

Miniature compass

Miniature compass

Miniature compass

I've had a tough time finding a similar one online. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Miniature compass  

I missed this one! This is a standard WW2 Mi9 produced compass in a waterproof locket. These were produced for the Far Eastern Thearte of Operation due to the higher humidity and rainfall. Originally it would have had a cotton lanyard.
    For similar check out my thread
    Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Agree. I have one the same which has a verified SOE/Australian SRD pedigree. Comes complete with a blue/purple colour light cotton ribbon "necklace".

This pattern of escape compasses are not waterproof and both the pivot stalk and the pointer will rust if they get wet, making the compass inoperable. The waterproof plastic casing prevented this. The ribbon is designed to protect the compass from loss and keep it close to hand by wearing it around the neck in a similar manner to identity discs. There was little need in the Pacific war for the types of concealments seen in the ETO.

I believe these waterproofed escape compasses were part of the MIS-X E-3J survival/medical kit, which although based on the US E3/E17 kits, were assembled in Australia out of US, British and Australian components for Australian and US aircrews in the SWPA. The kits used a single tinned sheet metal box as a container instead of the plastic flasks of the E3 and E17 kits. The canvas pouches were identical to the E3/E17 kit pouches but the E-3J kit pouches were fitted with normal press studs rather than "Lift The Dot" closures.

My rationale for assuming my compass came from a MIS-X E-3J kit was that these kits were heavily issued to SRD operatives from early 1944 onwards, which is around the time the Z Special Unit Veteran who formerly owned this compass began his service with SRD.