MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Mk IV 'Special T' Respirator

Article about: Hello folks. This is a rather rare type of British service respirator, which I managed to secure for a more than reasonable price. It is also somewhat of an oddity, as I will detail below. M

Default Mk IV 'Special T' Respirator

Hello folks.

This is a rather rare type of British service respirator, which I managed to secure for a more than reasonable price. It is also somewhat of an oddity, as I will detail below.

Modeled on the standard Mk IV service respirator, the Special T-Mic was a variant of the mask designed for use primarily by radio operators, although they were issued to men who wore spectacles as well. Prior to the introduction of the Mk V respirator, there was no provision on service masks for the attachment of a microphone. This was remedied with the 'Special T' model, which featured the addition of a microphone port on the left cheek of the facepiece. This was sealed with a bakelite plug when not in use.

This mask is a large size. The facepiece was made by Avon, as with many of these masks, and bears the manufacture date of 22nd December 1942, a very late date for this mask type. These respirators were declared largely obsolete in January 1943, when the Light Anti-Gas respirator first entered service. The Mk V remained in service, and was issued to left-handed shooters whose aiming was impeded by the side-mounted filter on the 'L.A.G.' mask.

The oddity in this case is the haversack. Most service respirator haversacks of this period feature a manufacturer and date stamp on the inside of the main flap, typically 'W&G' or 'M&Co.' This one is undated, and marked by the manufacturer 'Siebe Gorman & Co.' I have not previously encountered a haversack by this manufacturer, and was under the impression that they mainly produced civilian masks such as the Civilian Duty.

A very unusual addition to my service respirator collection.

Mk IV 'Special T' RespiratorMk IV 'Special T' RespiratorMk IV 'Special T' RespiratorMk IV 'Special T' Respirator

Also worth noting, all British masks using the hose and 'red brick' filter combination contain crocidolite, or blue asbestos. I have sealed the mask as per the Imperial War Museum-recommended method, using PVA wood glue poured into the filter. This has created a plastic film across the inlet, and has rendered the mask safe for future generations of collectors to enjoy. All of my British gas masks undergo the same procedure.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Very nice BB.

When I read MK IV I was hoping to see .....

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very nice BB.

When I read MK IV I was hoping to see .....

Not quite as advanced, and with a lot more asbestos!

B.B.

That's a very nice example, I can't add much to what you have already said but I do have this slightly odd example.

It is marked 'Large T. Mic' and then stamped twice 'Not Spec: T '

It is a long hose version and mainly dated 1940 with a 4A canister dated 1941.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk IV 'Special T' Respirator   Mk IV 'Special T' Respirator  

Mk IV 'Special T' Respirator   Mk IV 'Special T' Respirator  

Interesting to see one with the microphone fitted. I don't own any long hose respirators of any kind. T-mic variants of those must be extraordinarily rare.

Regards, B.B.

It was one of those lucky finds at the car boot, It came complete with the anti dimming ointment, glasses and two tins full of anti gas cream no.2.

A nice complete set!

I haven't been to a car boot sale in years. All of my British respirators have come from eBay, where there are plenty of masks for sale at any given time, and bargains to be found if you know what you're looking for.

Regards, B.B.