Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Mystery British item 1944

Article about: Hi folks, I picked this up at a local market for 50 pence. What I initially though to be some kind of wire cutters. Dated 1944 with broad arrow and a makers stamp of WR. Nothing looks remote

Default Mystery British item 1944

Hi folks, I picked this up at a local market for 50 pence. What I initially though to be some kind of wire cutters. Dated 1944 with broad arrow and a makers stamp of WR. Nothing looks remotely like it when I search pictures of wire cutters.Any ideas?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0071.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	878554  

Certainly look to be heavy duty cutters, missing one handle, but I can't help to narrow it down any more than that.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I agree with Jerry,it's minus 1 handle.

Thanks for the replies guys. What's strange is that the 'missing Handle' would be affixed in a different method to the existing handle judging by the shape of the shank and the absence of rivet holes. The handles also do not come anyway near each other when the jaws are closed. The existing handle also sports a ball joint at its end, and is hollow so could be an extension or affixes to a vehicle or aircraft?? Totally baffled at this one!

NCA
    ?

No, not missing a handle.They are Nail pullers.The short handle acts as a fulcrum and pinches the jaws on the nail head.It might also be rusted up as the sleeve should slide up and down.It acts as a hammer to help get hold of the nail.

What are the different types of nail puller?

I think NCA has it!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

I have some matching ones. Great for pulling nails out of crates !