Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with British waterbottle identification

Article about: Hi all! My neighbor found in the attic of his house very interesting waterbottle. It is very similar to the english model, I had not seen such. What are your opinions? Best regards Michael

Default Need help with British waterbottle identification

Hi all!

My neighbor found in the attic of his house very interesting waterbottle. It is very similar to the english model, I had not seen such. What are your opinions?

Best regards Michael

Need help with British waterbottle  identification

?

Very cool bottle! I think this type of bottle would have had a dark wool cover and a leather strap that ran through the rings on the side. I'll see if I can find for their info on this type.

Quote by karkee View Post
    Very cool bottle! I think this type of bottle would have had a dark wool cover and a leather strap that ran through the rings on the side. I'll see if I can find for their info on this type.
    karkee, thank you for the answer! I am hope for your help. It would be very interesting to know what kind of bottle.

P.S. Thank you for your wonderful website where I learned a lot of english waterbottles!

In the Internet found another photo a bottle, they are green:

The inscription on the bottle - most likely "fake"

The only design I have ever seen of these canteens were for British and British commonwealth troops pre ww2. Looks like black enamel coating which is also typical British. I agree with karkee about the side loops. A leather strap would have looped around and under holding it in place. I say pre ww2 because of the wide mouth of the bottle itself. Ww2 issues were more narrow at the opening from all examples I've seen.

UK Cousin, thanks for the answer!

I heard a "version" of that in the 1920-s, these bottles were bought by the Soviet government from England. But no evidence of this, I have not found. Most likely this is nonsense.
    I am confused by the color of the bottle, is not very typical of the "early" British bottles (If he prewar).

Also look at ww1 Austro Hungarian canteens. I saw a couple of examples that may be close to what you have.

I looked at photos of all known to me the old Austro-Hungarian and Swiss bottles (the most similar in design and enamel surface) but found nothing. I think sooner or later we will know the truth

?

The St. John's Ambulance Brigade used a style similar to this with the loops on the side for a leather strap and black wool cover. The spout on your bottle is very large, like a Mk V bottle, but is probably later. It may not have even been made in England, but simply made in the English style...

The St. John's Ambulance Brigade used a style similar to this with the loops on the side for a leather strap and black wool cover.
    Yes, a very similar style

MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT

Can really, it's not English bottle?