Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

need help with a compass

Article about: i got this compass with another item not even sure if they are military or not but thought i would post it and see if anyone knew what it was because the other item was a military knife so h

Default need help with a compass

i got this compass with another item not even sure if they are military or not but thought i would post it and see if anyone knew what it was because the other item was a military knife so hoping this is as well
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture need help with a compass   need help with a compass  

need help with a compass   need help with a compass  

Default Re: need help with a compass

May I get a better look at the Face of the Compass? With a straight down look and more light, the font of the directions may be just the clue i need to help you. Also the third picture you posted of the side is interesting.

is this one better

Attachment 375929

Quote by octavian View Post
    May I get a better look at the Face of the Compass? With a straight down look and more light, the font of the directions may be just the clue i need to help you. Also the third picture you posted of the side is interesting.

this one is less blurry

Attachment 375930

Odd... Keeps saying invalid attachment?!? Its not showing your recent photos like your original post. Says to contact admin. damn odd.

ill try and post it again

- - Updated - -

this should work better
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture need help with a compass   need help with a compass  

I pm'd you about what i found. But i believe this is an authentic Stanley's of London Brass Pocket Compass. It took some hard looking and comparing. The font on the degree's is what gave me the best insight. When looking on the face, you will noticed on the 100 degree mark how close the zeros are. Same with the 120 degree mark. In both cases the second and third digit have same spacing and font. The broad W further gave me more proof. Here is a shot of one i found on the web:

Attachment 378833

compared to your original compass:

Attachment 378834

The main reason why this has been so hard to find was that I believe its missing its frontal cover. The maker's mark would been stamped on the front or possibly on the inside of the cover. Here is a good link:

Stanley London Solid Brass Medium-Sized Pocket Compass can be Custom Engraved

Anyone else is more than welcome to help confirm my findings. This one was a doozy! The needle patina looks original as does the brass patina. Has a naval bronze color from what i see. You have a nice piece and its the real deal. with further research i may be able to pin down the jewel bearing needle style if i can find more references. as far as i know these specific compasses served in both WW1 and WW2. Very reliable.