Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with ID of this holster

Article about: Need help with ID of this holster. Holster came with war-trophy P-08 pistol given to my father by a friend who served with the Brazilian Expeditionary Force in Italy. Is it Brazilian? All ph

Default Need help with ID of this holster

Need help with ID of this holster. Holster came with war-trophy P-08 pistol given to my father by a friend who served with the Brazilian Expeditionary Force in Italy. Is it Brazilian? All photos I've seen of BEF soldiers seem to show US pattern leather holsters. My holster is canvas w/ a leather liner and has absolutely no manufacturers markings or serial numbers that I can find. Need help  with ID  of this holsterNeed help  with ID  of this holsterNeed help  with ID  of this holster

Default Re: Need help with ID of this holster

The attaching clip and the buttons lead me to believe it is American/Made from American parts. Very weird holster, I think it was theater made.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Are the buttons marked in any way? Does it take two mags or just one? Does it take 9mm mags, .45 mags or even a HP35 mag?

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by Collectorww2 View Post
    The attaching clip and the buttons lead me to believe it is American/Made from American parts. Very weird holster, I think it was theater made.
    My thoughts exactly! The attaching clip is clearly for a US style pistol belt and the main flap has a "lift the dot" type button seen on U.S. first aid pouch, M1 Carbine butt stock ammo pouch, .45 Pistol ammo pouch, etool carrier pouch, etc. etc.

More on holster. There appear to be no markings on the snaps/buttons. The single-mag pouch runs small with an OD of about 5 inches and has its bottom end folded under and sewn onto holster.(see the blurry photo). I would venture to guess that it was formed from a longer (@7") mag pouch "cut-down" to fit. This would seem to support the "theatre-made" idea. However, the general fit and finish of the holster... machined double stitching, grommetted hole for the leg tie down, etc. ,seem to point to it being factory made. Would these facilities be available in-theatre? Maybe it's a sort of hybrid...a production holster modified in the field? Attachment 363338

Quote by Klaustraphobias View Post
    More on holster. There appear to be no markings on the snaps/buttons. The single-mag pouch runs small with an OD of about 5 inches and has its bottom end folded under and sewn onto holster.(see the blurry photo). I would venture to guess that it was formed from a longer (@7") mag pouch "cut-down" to fit. This would seem to support the "theatre-made" idea. However, the general fit and finish of the holster... machined double stitching, grommetted hole for the leg tie down, etc. ,seem to point to it being factory made. Would these facilities be available in-theatre? Maybe it's a sort of hybrid...a production holster modified in the field? Attachment 363338
    Theatre-made doesn't always mean made in a fox hole on a battlefield, it could have been made in a textile factory in England, or in a facility liberated in a once occupied country, for example.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Theatre-made doesn't always mean made in a fox hole on a battlefield, it could have been made in a textile factory in England, or in a facility liberated in a once occupied country, for example.
    Good point...really opens up the field,then. Particularly with the Italy angle.Would like to pursue the Brazilian Expeditionary Force thread to story. Did they use their own gear,a mix of U.S. and their own or exclusively U.S. pattern gear? Any thoughts? Any links to sites @Brazilian equipment from WW2? Oh , many thanks for y'alls input.

Quote by Klaustraphobias View Post
    Good point...really opens up the field,then. Particularly with the Italy angle.Would like to pursue the Brazilian Expeditionary Force thread to story. Did they use their own gear,a mix of U.S. and their own or exclusively U.S. pattern gear? Any thoughts? Any links to sites @Brazilian equipment from WW2? Oh , many thanks for y'alls input.
    Theatre made gear is often very well made and attractive stuff! I have a "Troop Carrier" shoulder patch as worn by the C-47 pilots who dropped allied paratroops on D-Day. It was "theatre made" in England and really is pretty!

To be honest, I have been here for a little more than a year and I can't recall seeing many, if any threads dealing with FEB history and militaria. I would definitely like to see more light shed on them!

Over the years I can recall seeing a few pictures of the FEB in action. While I don't remember many specifics, I remember noting them using U.S. issue Sherman Tanks, M1 helmets and M1 rifles.
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 06-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Just read a blurb about how the first echelon of BEF troops found their original uniforms,kit and equipment unsuitable and were replaced with US gear in theatre. Looks like y'all are on the right track. Maybe holster is part of original Brazilian(obsolete) kit or theatre made replacement? Well, time to head back down the rabbit hole...thanks again for your input.

Hi,
    It is Brazilian, manufactured in São Paulo, based on the US Army model. It was used in Italy by FEB during the WWII, was for Colt 1911A1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast