Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Nice WW2 U.S Canteen

Article about: Last weekend I was at the flea market and I came upon this U.S canteen the bottle is dated and manufacture marked, U.S A.G.M. CO 1942 and the cover as well is dated and marked it is a little

?

Default Nice WW2 U.S Canteen

Last weekend I was at the flea market and I came upon this U.S canteen the bottle is dated and manufacture marked, U.S A.G.M. CO 1942 and the cover as well is dated and marked it is a little harder to read but I think it says COLLETT MFG. CO. 1941 .Both the bottle and the cover have the name of one M.J. TAYLOR which is wrote on the cover in ink and scratched on the bottom of the bottle. Now here is my question. I have seen a few WW 2 issued canteens over the years but have yet to see an example with an aluminum lid all the ones I have seen so far have the black bakelite lids on them and found it a little odd .Are they common and I have just never seen an example of one yet or has some one added this lid it would appear that it has never been tampered with but I am unshur.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nice WW2 U.S Canteen   Nice WW2 U.S Canteen  

Nice WW2 U.S Canteen   Nice WW2 U.S Canteen  

Nice WW2 U.S Canteen   Nice WW2 U.S Canteen  

Default Re: Nice WW2 U.S Canteen

The Alum caps were standard dating back long before the bakelite, you have a good Canteen. Here is the web site I used to ID all my US Army mess gear.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/mus...upd_Jul09).pdf

Hope this helps.

Russ

?

Default Re: Nice WW2 U.S Canteen

Thanks for the quick response Russ I will add the web site to my favorites for further reference and research this is my first U.S issue canteen in my collection.

Regards Mark K