Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Not to sure where this is from, pineapple grenade?

Article about: Hi everyone, A friend has this pineapple grenade and was asking me about it, since its not really my thing i was hoping this forum could make me look like i know what im talking about lol. C

Default Not to sure where this is from, pineapple grenade?

Hi everyone,
    A friend has this pineapple grenade and was asking me about it, since its not really my thing i was
    hoping this forum could make me look like i know what im talking about lol.
    Could someone possibly tell me where its from, and what it may be worth?
    Not expecting it to be heaps obviously, but just curious.
    Thanks everybody.Not to sure where this is from, pineapple grenade?Not to sure where this is from, pineapple grenade?Not to sure where this is from, pineapple grenade?Not to sure where this is from, pineapple grenade?Not to sure where this is from, pineapple grenade?

its a mills bomb British made as far as date could not tell you. there will be more expert opinions in time...

could be a 36m some of these were manufactured in Australia. i hope this is deactivated it looks very complete from these images.

Thanks guys, yeah it’s deactivated.
    Given I’m in Australia I guess it’s a 36m, any ideas how much it would be worth??
    Think it’s worth keeping, I’m guessing they are a common collectable.

CBH
    ?

To find a price, look at local dealers sites, and the value of the grenade is about 75% of what a dealer is asking.

Over here in England they fetch about £120 or slightly more. As always, it depends on condition. Looking at this example, the base plate is threaded to screw in a rod for it to be used as a rifle grenade. You need to check the base plate to see if it carries a WW1 date, this will add to the value if it is.

The remains of red 'X' markings on the body of the grenade indicate it has been treated to waterproof it, which would make it a No.36M model. The green band around the middle indicates the type of explosive filling. If it's a WWI-dated grenade, it indicates a filling of Amatol. If it's a WWII-dated grenade, the filling was either Baratol or Trotyl.

I've got one of these on the way myself, and have been doing a lot of reading on them. Better photographs of the base plug and the markings on the lever will help to ascertain the grenade's origins.

Regards, B.B.

'F.L.H.' is on the lever, which is for 'F.L. Hudson & Co.
    Brisbane Australia' - WWII production.

There were Canadian versions of the No 36 too.
    Here below at left for reference:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Not to sure where this is from, pineapple grenade?  
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks everybody, such a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Amazing.