Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Odd 37 pattern pistol holster, British made, Lift the Dot.....?

Article about: Picked up this holster a while ago, but I'm still none the wiser as to what it is exactly......? It is mint, unissued. Marked "Warring & Gillow (1932) Ltd" "1943". Ma

ILH
    ?

Default Odd 37 pattern pistol holster, British made, Lift the Dot.....?

Picked up this holster a while ago, but I'm still none the wiser as to what it is exactly......?

It is mint. Marked with a broad arrow, "Warring & Gillow (1932) Ltd", "1943". Made from the same green canvas as the gasmask bags they made. It's clearly sat in a sunny spot for years to fade like that.
    The pistol rod came with it but was added later... Its for an Inglis (1945+).
    If it had a popper I'd just put it down to "erzatz" 37 pattern, possibly for an automatic.......
    ......but that "lift the dot" bugs me, must have been specified, but by whom?

Cheers guys.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd 37 pattern pistol holster, British made, Lift the Dot.....?   Odd 37 pattern pistol holster, British made, Lift the Dot.....?  

Odd 37 pattern pistol holster, British made, Lift the Dot.....?   Odd 37 pattern pistol holster, British made, Lift the Dot.....?  

?

Refurbished by an allied country (Denmark?) post-war.

ILH
    ?

I'm pretty sure that all the thread is the same and the fixings are original. Also no additional markings.. So I'm not scientifically certain, but pretty sure it is not modified,...... But it could well be for an allied unit rather than just British.

?

Fixings are different on British original models and the colour is the same for all components.

ILH
    ?

Hi Narcis,
    Have you checked this out?
    Pattern 1937 Web Equipment

I don't think Warring and Gillow made any canvas web to full 37pattern spec, but they did make lightweight respirator bags from the same materials as this pistol pouch (even the brown web and heavier C-Hooks)...... But I haven't seen them put a "lift the dot" on something before...

?

Hi,
    I have no answer.
    Crazy but why not: equipment supplied by GB to the US Army in wartime for the M1911 Colt automatic.

ILH
    ?

That's definately a good suggestion, cheers, and it's a strong possibilty as they liked Lift the Dots. It would be nice to see "england" on it as some of the UK made US kit had, but alot of it was unmarked. If it is the case there's a strong chance of others out there with history/provenance.

The strap and brass hooks on the back look like those on any standard 37 Pattern holster. The canvas that makes up the body of the holster does not. For the record, below is a photo of one of my pistol holsters for comparison.

The weave and colour of the material remind me of a pair of postwar Bren magazine pouches I saw in an antiques shop once. I can't recall the markings, only that they dated from the 1950's. They may have been Canadian, but I am not entirely sure. The same overall shape as wartime ones, but made from a different kind of material. Very similar to the water resistant canvas they used on 44 pattern light respirator haversacks.

Regards, B.B.

ILH
    ?

Cheers BB (love the handle!)
    This one doesn't have the horizontal C hook that links to the ammo pouch, but if it's for an auto then it'd be issued with a different ammo pouch anyway.
    Those Bren mags sound intriguing, an added weight to the canadian cleaning rod possibility, thanks.

Glad I was able to help, if even a little. This holster is as much a mystery to me as it is to anyone else.

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast