Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Odd WW2 British bag or field pack

Article about: I have found another odd thing-I think that I may have an odd WW2 British bag or field pack. It appears to be a pack (with WW2 marking) but the straps lay out got me stumped. I know that it

?

Default Odd WW2 British bag or field pack

I have found another odd thing-I think that I may have an odd WW2 British bag or field pack. It appears to be a pack (with WW2 marking) but the straps lay out got me stumped. I know that it may be hard, but can anyone help w/ the ID?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd WW2 British bag or field pack   Odd WW2 British bag or field pack  

Odd WW2 British bag or field pack   Odd WW2 British bag or field pack  

Odd WW2 British bag or field pack  

37 pattern web large pack, though the straps are different to my example. Perhaps it has the helmet carrier straps on it and is missing one of the normal mounting straps. Not an expert on these so I might be wrong, but still a 37 pattern large pack for certain.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yep definitely a Pattern 37 rucksack. I am no expert either, but I do have one too. I believe you are missing a few straps, but not sure it works effectively without the belt, utilizing the whole web gear setup.

Apart from the Broad Arrow everything looks very low quality Indian made?

Jake may have it. Are there any markings on the pack itself.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Default Addition

Definately 08/37ptn large pack, but it is missing one of the helmet support straps and a couple of buckles.
    IMO, this is a "put-together", but I wouldnt be worried about that, the majority of 37ptn sets available are "put-togethers"

Karkee Web is a good reference site for British W/Equipment

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS:
    What does the actual webbing material "feel" like? The Indian made stuff feels obviously thinner and "inferior" in quality when compared to UK made W/E.
    IMO, this is NOT an Indian made pack, but is actually a UK made one, (As usual, I am willing to stand corrected by others more knowledgeable)
    MECo is the stamping used by the Mills Equipment Company.

?

This is definitely a British-made large pack made between 1943-45, as evidenced by the economy 2" tabs without brass tips...

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Apart from the Broad Arrow everything looks very low quality Indian made?
    None of it appears Indian made to me, MECO is a British MFG, and MW&S LTD is as well.

I would not worry about this being a "put together", webbing was assembled from stores with whatever other piece came next, differing mfg on components is a non issue in my opinion, and it would have been incredibly unlikely for a set to not have had each component from a different maker.

Totally different matter from say, a helmet or rifle.
    Last edited by PhantomGuitar; 04-21-2015 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Fixed a contradiction

?

Very good point PhantomGuitar! Though I have seen many sets on the collector's market that I would describe as "put together", because they have postwar components.

I once bought a set because it had an unissued Canadian-made small pack. In addition it had a postwar belt, one Indian-made basic pouch, one Canadian-made basic pouch, a postwar waterbottle carrier, a 1950s large pack, one British L strap and one Indian L strap. I'm not even sure when such a hodgepodge collection of webbing would have been paired together...

Quote by karkee View Post
    Very good point PhantomGuitar! Though I have seen many sets on the collector's market that I would describe as "put together", because they have postwar components.

I once bought a set because it had an unissued Canadian-made small pack. In addition it had a postwar belt, one Indian-made basic pouch, one Canadian-made basic pouch, a postwar waterbottle carrier, a 1950s large pack, one British L strap and one Indian L strap. I'm not even sure when such a hodgepodge collection of webbing would have been paired together...

I fixed my post as I contradicted myself, a few too many nots and rarely!

But in my opinion militaria collectors can get quite obsessed with every little maker or sub contractor or a piece, and this doesn't really work well with web gear. Its OK if someone wants say, an entire set made by MeCO or MW&S (or every piece from every manufacturer.... would take nearly a life time!) when in reality say, a small pack wouldn't get issued from the factory with matching straps. It would be sent to the Depot with no straps in a bundle, same with straps. I have seen these bundles a few times. Bundles of straps, braces, what have you. Then from there it is issued as needed! Highly highly unlikely everything would be the same maker.

But yes, I concur. Now, say if someone was putting together a set of "original ww2 webbing", that had Indian made straps, south african pouches, british black metal belt, and so forth, then absolutely.

Probably came from some WW2 collectors collection, as they wanted a set of "ww2 webbing!"

Of all of the times I have seen a set of "ww2 british m36 webbing" (improper nomenclature is key!) with quick release post war pouches, danish straps, israeli pack, and british black steel belt. Isn't collecting web gear fun?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast