Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is the Oddest Piece of WW2 Equipment I have ever Bought!!!

Article about: AS we all know, we can come across some really oddball Military items, I have bought some strange stuff over the years, however this is one of the oddest!!! This is a 1941 dated British made

Horses were still widely used in Australia for military use in remote/rural areas during WW2 as there was a lack of mechanisation and infrastructure at the start and a sudden extra need when the Japanese entered the war-the film '40,000 Horsemen' made in 1941 about WW1 used the Light Horse Militia units in the large scale battle scenes-many of these remained mounted along with Home Guard type units for the rest of the war-I would think there would be similar situations in most of the Empire/Commonwealth, especially early on.

The 40,000 Horsemen Desert scenes were filmed at Cronulla Horses were used by all armies during the second world war in massive numbers, not much else moved in a Russian winter..Donkeys and horses used to great effect in the Pacific theatre ..The poor old Horse gets a little consigned to History in ww2 due to the Blitzkrieg perception of the war. Here is a good quick read about them
    Horses in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mules, not donkeys or horses in the CBI theatre-very little in the way of horses in the British or US armies-they were fully motorised by 1939 and remained so in the actual war zones but for patrolling in very out of the way places and the odd home guard unit, horses were used early on in the piece.

CBI theatre? China Burma India?

Merrill's Marauders
    The 5307th was originally destined to train in long-range penetration tactics under the direction of Brigadier Charles Orde Wingate, commander of the Chindits. At Deolali, 200 km (125 miles) outside Bombay, the troops endured both physical conditioning and close-order drill, before entraining for Deogarh, India.

The unit was to have 700 animals that included 360 mules. There were to be as many more but the ship that carrying them was torpedoed in the Arabian Sea. They were replaced by 360 Australian Waler horses that had originally been with the 112th Cavalry in New Caledonia who were deemed unfit for jungle warfare. They had traveled to India where they served with the Chinese Army before being assigned to the 5307th.[7]
    Merrill's Marauders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In China, Horses,Donkeys and Mules were used extensively by both the Japanese and Chinese
    Name:  5307th_crossing_river.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  45.1 KB

During World War II, the U.S. Army Veterinary Corps was responsible for the professional care of over 56,000 horses and mules used by the Army, as well as thousands of war dogs. When mobilization for World War II began in 1939, it was predicted that the Army would need 200,000 horses. In 1940, mechanization of the Army was well under way, but the Army still had two horse cavalry divisions (the 1st and the 2d), two horse-drawn artillery regiments, and two mixed horse and motor transport regiments, with a total authorization of 16,800 horses and 3,500 mules.

As mobilization and expansion of the U.S. military proceeded in the early 1940s, the need for horses continuously decreased as active, reserve and National Guard units rapidly converted to trucks and jeeps. The Cavalry officially lost its horses as full mechanization became the reality in 1942. The displaced horses were returned to the QM Remount Depots. Only four horses were procured in the 1943 fiscal year and none from then on through the end of the war. From 1942-1945, only 49 horses were shipped from the United States to the armed forces overseas.
    Horses & Mules During WW II

Very interesting piece indeed, and a rather rare one too! I have only ever seen a handful, and your example is definitely the nicest.

I have the carrier and eyeshields belonging to the mask shown in post No.5, I'll take some photos next time I'm back home as the eyeshields are just as rare as the masks themselves, so are definitely worth showing in their own right. I just need to work on getting the mask to go with them now

Thanks for sharing it with us, it's definitely a treat to see

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12