Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan

Article about: Hello folks. Been eyeing this one up on the 'Bay. Have fancied one for a while, as a space filler for the collection room. Have run across this, and am liking the price. However, I am absolu

Default Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan

Hello folks.

Been eyeing this one up on the 'Bay. Have fancied one for a while, as a space filler for the collection room. Have run across this, and am liking the price. However, I am absolutely clueless as to what to be looking for in these in regards to paint, condition, markings, etc.
    It looks nice to me. There does appear to be a splash of modern paint on the base, which should come off easily. It's the markings I've been scrutinizing. While I can't imagine anyone would 'tart up' a plain jerrycan, I know that nothing is off limits for the fakers, and I'd like to run it by some practiced gazes before handing my money over.

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan   Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan  

Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan   Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan  

Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan   Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan  

No probs mate - and they don't fake these to my knowledge - and the ROUGH olive green is original paint ( not the stuff at the bottom though ..LOL )

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Nice item and a 'proper' date. I like it !

Since original examples can be found for as little as £5, these aren't worth faking. They are very common but it might take some time to find one as nice as this one. Have you asked/checked that it doesn't leak?

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!
    I believe the seller states that he's checked it for leaks, but it wouldn't concern me much either way. I'd only be using it as a display piece.

Am pleased to say it's on its way to me! Will put some photos up when it arrives. Thank you all again for your opinions.

B.B.

Received it in the post today!

As you can see, it looks better in person. Some real character to it. I've begun scraping the paint off the bottom with a razor blade.

Unfortunately, it seems this can was used to store petrol fairly recently. There are a few dregs in the bottom, and the smell is pretty strong. You can even see it around the nozzle in the photos. To that end, it's been relegated to the shed, as other family members don't want it in the house for understandable reasons.
    Is there any way to remove the residue completely and render it safe? If there's not, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping it, and I'd have to move it on. I'd really rather not, as I've fancied one of these for a while. However, explosive liquid/fumes in the house is a big no-no.

Would appreciate any help those in the know could give me.

B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan   Opinions, 1944 British Jerrycan  

Nice can! I assume it's empty and just smells? Just put some liquid dish soap in it, fill with water and shake a bit. Let it soak for a bit then empty out. If needed you can repeat the process a few times. Rinse with clean water and leave the cap open; make sure it is thoroughly dry before you close the cap again (could take a few weeks).

A jerrycan that just smells a bit like petrol really isn't a hazard unless you drop a match in it.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Nice can! I assume it's empty and just smells? Just put some liquid dish soap in it, fill with water and shake a bit. Let it soak for a bit then empty out. If needed you can repeat the process a few times. Rinse with clean water and leave the cap open; make sure it is thoroughly dry before you close the cap again (could take a few weeks).

A jerrycan that just smells a bit like petrol really isn't a hazard unless you drop a match in it.
    Thanks for the kind words. I should clarify. The mouth of the can is damp, the inside is wet, and there are dregs of what I suspect to be petrol or diesel in the bottom. It looks as if it was last used to store fuel only days ago.
    I'll give it the soap and water treatment tomorrow, followed by a rinse, and leave it out in the sun to evaporate whatever's left. Hopefully then it can join the rest of my collection indoors!

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Received it in the post today!

As you can see, it looks better in person. Some real character to it. I've begun scraping the paint off the bottom with a razor blade.

Unfortunately, it seems this can was used to store petrol fairly recently. There are a few dregs in the bottom, and the smell is pretty strong. You can even see it around the nozzle in the photos. To that end, it's been relegated to the shed, as other family members don't want it in the house for understandable reasons.
    Is there any way to remove the residue completely and render it safe? If there's not, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping it, and I'd have to move it on. I'd really rather not, as I've fancied one of these for a while. However, explosive liquid/fumes in the house is a big no-no.

Would appreciate any help those in the know could give me.

B.B.
    Get a bag of fibre granules from Screwfix for absorbing oil, spillages. Put some inside, leave if for a day or two then tip out, blow out the residue with compressed air (or a vacuum on blow, not suck) and Bobs yer Uncle.

NCA
    ?

Nice decent jerry can. Looks like you're already on your way to cleaning the inside for display.

don't know if you knew but BMB is Briggs Motor Bodies of Dagenham...they also pressed helmets. I drove past where the old works were only yesterday. Going by your location it hasn't travelled far?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast